• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

OFFICIAL Boston Bhangra Competition 2008 Results/Discussion

Vick

Member
Messages
990
hahaha.... Yea they didnt really hide it much... BTF where bhangra fans and potential lovers unite...
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Jasmeet said:
Now that I'm sitting in class, I'm finally able to write my review of an awesome weekend in Boston.
Something wrong (but oh so familiar) about this statement.
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Saleem said:
Jasmeet said:
Now that I'm sitting in class, I'm finally able to write my review of an awesome weekend in Boston.
Something wrong (but oh so familiar) about this statement.
I mean, really...
that's the ONLY time to really do a good posting. During class time.
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
Jasmeet said:
Saleem said:
Jasmeet said:
Now that I'm sitting in class, I'm finally able to write my review of an awesome weekend in Boston.
Something wrong (but oh so familiar) about this statement.
I mean, really...
that's the ONLY time to really do a good posting. During class time.
And class time is a great time to check one's PM's as well! Haha jk jk man I agree
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Hoy hoy let's make it more awkward for them.
All those shaadi.com ads on BTF were unnecessary... they were right in front of each other the entire time
 

xxpmoney36xx

New Member
Messages
16
Meistro said:
- BU: I felt like I was watching bhangra from 2004 haha. Its all good though. Just didn't like how they had people coming in and out of the routine. I thought we were past that people! Also, I didn't understand the kid with the sword who came on at one point. Colours of the jodis were mixed and yeah. Somebody got confused while drawing formations in their notebook! hahaha, they had fun though.
k so the person with the sword that gimmick was geared to neone that understands punjabi, or is well versed with bhangra. the song playin was called dushmani n a dushman is obviously an enemy of a sort. so the kid was a dushman essentially and when the lyrics wen pich hatt na, the dushman was beeing pushed awayy.
as for the colours of the jodis, i saw no flaw in the pairing. just wotched the vid.
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Taiym?r said:
Vick said:
I'm guessing Saleem is going to be best man? He made it happen...
i better get an invite, and there better be some proper bridesmaids jk but not really
my thoughts exactly. theres a reason you are my favorite persian in bhangra ...wait a minute...
 

sorethighs

New Member
Messages
85
Meistro said:
P.P.P.S. Sorethighs I think you're dead wrong on people running off stage to set their pugh down as a result of "respect" for the dance. 1) because one of the above mentioned teams (BU or MIT) did not have the respect or common sense to know that a guy shouldnt be sitting on a girl the way he did and 2) if Im wrong, it must be a huge coincidence that at the first major competition since the pugh discussion took place, you see this many teams "respecting" the dance and running off stage when a) their pugh was falling off or b) when they felt their pugh was going to fall off.
Meistro: You of all people know that before there was BTF there was POL, an the pugh issue was addressed many times on POL. I still don't feel its strongly correlated to one discussion
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Ben, I think theres a huge difference between POL and BTF.......if there was an issue about pughs on POL, nobody was going to listen because it wasn't a constructive environment. BTF is all about healthy, open discussion. People are going to listen when an issue is brought up on this forum. A team is not going to listen to a forum where they're being bashed my friend.
 

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
What up folk heads, here's my super late review on BBC 2008

I've been following Boston Bhangra for years and have attended twice, however this was my first year performing at BBC and I had high expectations - for the most part, I wasn't disappointed and I have to give it up to the BBC crew for a smooth weekend (atleast for myself and the GW team).

I got to watch parts of most of the performances, didn't get to see any complete performances as I kept getting interrupted and my vantage point was pretty crappy (turlas constantly blocking my view), but here is my feedback from what I remember. Take it for what its worth.

BMW - Up and coming team, one of these days you guys will get your big break and place. There is still some variation between the strong & weak dancers on your team and that might be holding you back. Your kunda segment is some 'next-level-sh*t'.

Empire - Great energy ofcourse and props on being probably the the most entertaining team of the night. I wasn't feeling all that recycled choreo & formations and I would have liked to see more new stuff. You guys have a great modern style and you pull it off well, keep doin ur thang. This whole VCU vs Empire talk, I think its time to crush it - I think it was close and both teams could have placed first, VCU def takes the cake when it comes to a more traditional style bhangra but I can see a team like Empire placing 1st at Boston, it is what it is... good job!
(Sidenote: They were def a very nice and friendly team, I remember standing with my team mate Harsh in the lobby and they came up to us and introduced themselves)

Jawani - Should have placed. Amazing stage presence and very in sync. They def filled the void that UBC girls have left and have adopted a similar style.

Northeastern - Best Boston team of the night, no doubt. This team still has a long way to go but props on being the first Boston team to truly showcase folk bhangra. Work on grace. (As snoop would say "Ack-shay")

MIT - Ofcourse MIT style energy but this year the routine was a little sloppy. Routine was packed with gimmicks, typical Boston-modern style. (props:meryum,kapil,prashant(sp),saleem,faizan(maraasi))

BU - Didn't get to see you guys

Guardians - Didn't see much but nice modern style. You guys need to develop a team style as there was a lot of variation in the way moves were executed. Entertaining team. (shout out to J-Kapoor)

VCU - I saw you guys from a wierd angle, we were the next act after you and the organizers made us stand in this tight hallway on the side. However, I did hear the track and it was tailored to a general audience and was a little more contemporary than I would have imagined. Just in general, you guys have found a winning formula... keep doin watcha doin. Looking fwd to the spring semester set (Props: benny,surmeet,fire marshal,aman,manu,SRK(pakzindabad),havish and ofcourse... mr.arjun bruah)

3D - Decent routine, would have been great to see you guys live (and see you guys go head-to-head with RU). Red pagg dancer has amazing grace and your girls were really good during jhummer. There were some glaring mistakes tho and going first didn't help either.

Sher - Didn't see much of your routine. Energy was decent (seen better in the past) and the stunts were def a huge crowd pleaser. Innovative mix. Sad to see Lali retire.

RU - SOLID ROUTINE, def a step up. I've always been a little hesitant giving RU alot of credit in the past cuz I respect what they do but their tempo is just too slow sometimes... however for BBC 2008 they def changed it up and had a more energetic set. Great choreo (phumania style was nice) and formations were good, also encouraging to see a lot of new faces on stage holding it down and keeping the RU live tradition going. Some dancers got tired towards the end and sad to not see the 3-man tower anymore. I could have seen you guys placing (props jaggi,pashi,natasha).

Feedback for BBC

Thumbs up:
- We were kept well informed about all the events and when we needed to be where
- Team mixer & afterparty were at the hotel. GOOD CALL, I wish all the competitions start doing that, you actually end up having time to kick it with other teams and chill at the afterparty, rather than being stuck in a taxi cab trying to find the damn place. Probably the best afterparty venue I've ever been to... so much space, I could actually dance bhangra.
- Abhi ... nuff said
- Run throughs were run efficiently and in a timely manner.
- BBC staff was very courteous and welcoming, you could def tell that they wanted the teams to have a good time. At the end of the day, they are all young people like us and there is a lot of stress involved in running a show of this magnitude.
- The scavenger hunt was a good idea but would have been better if they mixed up the team members so the teams actually got to mix & network.

Thumbs not up (or as some might say... thumbs down):
- Our liaison was great (Sayjal) but it seemed like the poor girl had been tasked with other stuff also (besides being our liaison). I remember she had to pretty much rush out to take care of other BBC stuff, after meeting with us for like 15 mins. It would have been nicer if the liaison stuck around and took the time to show us around the city, good eats, sights & sounds, etc. Again, this isn't Sayjal's fault rather it should be BBC's responsibility to make sure the liaison's have no other duties besides being with the teams.
- Bad choice of hotel. I know everyone's been talking about this so I won't talk about it that much but this hotel was a bit too 'high class'. The hotel security told us to keep it down when we were just sitting in the room relaxing (two thumbs down). In the future, BBC should think about picking a hotel that is better suited for the BBC teams & crowd. They should brief the hotel staff, security & management so they know what to expect. Vandalism and being idiotic is one thing and is not acceptable but COME ON, please don't tell the teams be quiet and in their rooms by midnight.
- There was a moutain of water bottles & energy drinks back stage but no one from BBC told the teams that this even existed. Again, BBC might have been understaffed but it would have been helpful if a BBC volunteer was distributing water to the teams.
- Everyone who watched us complained that our sound was too low during the entire performance and some people even said that we seemed like a live team because the dhol was so loud. These technical aspects need to be carefully examined to ensure a level playing field for all teams.
- Teams had to pay for their own parking, it would be nice if BBC covers these costs in the future.
- No food/snacks after the show.
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Waleed said:
- There was a moutain of water bottles & energy drinks back stage but no one from BBC told the teams that this even existed. Again, BBC might have been understaffed but it would have been helpful if a BBC volunteer was distributing water to the teams.
- Everyone who watched us complained that our sound was too low during the entire performance and some people even said that we seemed like a live team because the dhol was so loud. These technical aspects need to be carefully examined to ensure a level playing field for all teams.
Yeah there was the huge surplus of water and rockstar energy drink lol.. but i did see some bbc ppl going up and down the aisles w/ water and chips so maybe its just bad luck gw didnt see em

re:gw sound. that sucks for the team and sound+lighting guys should have a standard level throughout the show. too-low sound level is i think one of the worst things for a team, even worse than going 1st. it saps the energy from the dance, prevents the crowd from getting into it, and if the monitors are too low, the team may mess up. not a criticism of gw by any means but the same advice I have been giving other teams: forget having a gopher film the dance or anything-- have a body IN THE SOUND/LIGHTING booth. essential for sound level as well as any unique lighting cues (essential blackouts, etc)

As for food/snacks after the show ehh would be amazing but i'd say that's generally something teams order and it's part of the 'events done let's have fun' routine.
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
Waleed,

There were at least two people running back and forth every other hour or 1.5 asking us if we wanted snacks and drinks. Actually got to the point where we had like excess stuff sitting in our aisles by the end. I'm sure it wasn't by purpose but they probably accidently neglected you guys a bit. Also, there WAS food at the afterparty, it was upstairs for the teams. Unfortunately, it was gone pretty quick. I didn't get ot the after party early, (maybe around 12), and they were wrapping up food upstairs.

Thanks for the solid review and criticism.

Saleem, was there a big difference for GW's sound? I don't remember this being an issue, but we were 3rd row, sitting right in front of a speaker so everything is blaring loud lol. I've never thought of this task for a gopher, sitting in the sound/light booth. Thats a REALLY good idea.
 

Temurzai

New Member
Messages
397
Waleed bro

there was food at the afterparty for teams, up on the teams balcony. i think most of us kicked it up top for a while, which is why all u saw were black shirts up there. slowly some teams came up, i know NU came up too. i forgot who else i saw up there hahaa.

thats the best afterparty setup btw. forrrrrr sureeeee
 
Top