• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Official Boston Bhangra Competition 2010 Live Updates, Placings and Reviews

faizan

Just shut up and dance
The only team that continues to travel far distances to be rude to another team? VIRSA

Last year at elite you guys boo'ed us...this year, you guys chanted your name before our performance...you have boo'ed us many times over the last 4 years, and it is well documented...being elite doesn't buy you class, it is pretty obvious...you guys should really grow up...don't try and pretend you had nothing to do with this, everyone heard and everyone knows how rude you guys are...i look at your team name, and i shake my head...you are an insult to your "virsa"...we'll still be cheering for you at elite, good luck.

jsandhu

the after party was crazy...the only thing was that there was def. not enough space and the music kind sucked...i told that dj atleast 10 times to put on babbu mann...i would have liked to see more desi music... i thought the party was only in the basement?

sumeetj

faizan said:
The only team that continues to travel far distances to be rude to another team? VIRSA
big ups to jabar jung for tying my teams paggan and the sick intro sher! :)

and sabi for singing our intro as well :)

and afterparty was crowded, but after-after-party was sick :) one thing i hated about the afterparty was the dj or whoever yelling "jo bole so nihaal, sat sri kaal" when there are drunk people and naked girls running around, def not the right environment, i feel, to be chanting things like that. my personal opinion though.

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
RE: BBC

Phenomenal weekend. I really wish I didn't miss all of the performances (thanks to phudi-balloons lol) but meeting everyone was amazing!!

Boston Bhangra Competition continues to be the best east coast competition.

PROS:
- Food. If there one thing that BBC does right, in my opinion, and is far ahead of most competitions out there, it's food. They know how to feed the teams well. Pasta dinners, indian food, energy drinks... other competitions need to get on their level.
- Fun mixer. While the concept of "mixing" was lacking, BBC continues to have one of the most fun and creative mixers.
- Three thousand screaming people in the audience. Enough said.
- After-after party. Not only was it within walkable distance from the hotel, but it was ridiculously fun.

CONS:
- Our liaison was helpful when asked for help, but like years in the past, BBC is very much understaffed. Each liaison has more than one team and have other duties in addition to the teams. There really needs to be 1-2 liaisons PER team that have no other responsibilities but to cater to the teams instead of 1 liaison per a few teams that have other responsibilities.
- Better afterparty venue. The afterparty was fun, but the venue definitely turned away a lot of people/teams from going.

RE: VIRSA

Whoever chanted your team name slash booed us was clearly affiliated with your team. When we talked after the afterparty, you guys re-assured me that it was not your team members and I am still inclined to take your word and believe you guys. If it wasn't your team members, it has to be your fans. Have some control over your fans and shut them up. If anything, they're making you guys look like classless idiots and we know y'all are better than that.

jsandhu

sumeetj said:
faizan said:

and afterparty was crowded, but after-after-party was sick :) one thing i hated about the afterparty was the dj or whoever yelling "jo bole so nihaal, sat sri kaal" when there are drunk people and naked girls running around, def not the right environment, i feel, to be chanting things like that. my personal opinion though.
yea that was stupid...englandies

Nikhil

jsandhu said:
sumeetj said:
faizan said:

yea that was stupid...englandies
There were naked girls? really?

zagreus

Jabar Jung said:
JASMEEET SINGH KAPOOOR TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!
Since my presence is requested at this moment, I'll share something about the booing incident.

I was about 10 rows back of Virsa, and I saw them in plain view, and I saw the person(s) that was booing. I think it'd be wrong to believe that Virsa can control everyone, and especially someone like the person that booed.

The situation was this....a big fat dude in a red shirt (i believe) was behind us, and ran up to the front of the balcony, and began to boo. It was endless, and he was annoying everyone in the back rows of the balcony, since we couldn't see at all. He later turned around, and gave everyone the finger. This happened repeatedly, and from my recollection, there may have been 2 other people. This person was yelling loudly, and I was able to hear it from afar. This person didn't appear to be associated to Virsa, as I never saw the person again hanging out with them (at the after party or after after party). I don't remember if Virsa was telling the person to go away (but many rows were, and eventually event staff came over, and the person ran away), but, they certainly weren't booing. This is what I saw, if someone saw something different, feel free to share.

In the past, Virsa has come out and said when they booed, and admit to it. In this case, I would take their word on it, and accept that they didn't boo. Sure, the track record may not be great for them in this regard (nor am I defending it), but from what I saw, I feel I should speak up before this blows up to something it doesn't need to be.

That is all from me on this, I will later return with my long ass review.

bhangramunda

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=78%]Hi all,[/SIZE][/font]

Just wanted to share a highlight reel from the competition. The Boston Globe sent a camera person out to capture the event. This link has the HD highlights! I found that using Internet Explorer provided nice HD video - Pretty awesome!

Boston Bhangra Highlight reel provided by the Boston Globe
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid90015258001&bclid=90190326001&bctid=676195615001[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Enjoy! [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]-Chris[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Boston Bhangra E-Board[/font]

Fun comp. Pricey but fun. Def need a bigger spot for after party. After after party was pretty cool. DEFINITELY NOT A COMP FOR TRADITIONAL TEAMS. Congrats to placing teams. empire, amazing gigmicks .. Nypd def deserved higher .. Yet again not a traditional comp .. Loved hanging out with all my nypd bois .. Sabi varun n kanwar from boston.. My brother manu who danced with RU ripped it love you .. N my guys of course ;)

zagreus

bhangramunda said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=78%]Hi all,[/SIZE][/font]

Just wanted to share a highlight reel from the competition. The Boston Globe sent a camera person out to capture the event. This link has the HD highlights! I found that using Internet Explorer provided nice HD video - Pretty awesome!

Boston Bhangra Highlight reel provided by the Boston Globe
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]http://www.boston.com/video/viral_page/?/services/player/bcpid90015258001&bclid=90190326001&bctid=676195615001[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Enjoy! [/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]-Chris[/font]
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Boston Bhangra E-Board[/font]
Boston Bhangra should remove this! MH1 owns the rights to the video! GET ON THIS!

see....
this is how stupid this is.

grenadesingh

Enjoyed the show very much. Disliked the afterparty very much.

I watched the show from like front row seat. I agreed with the placings in terms of how BBC judging works. After watching NYPD's performance in the first half, it was clear they were going to be placed. And then after watching Anakh-e-gabroo and Bhangra empire, it was also clear they were going to place. No surprises once they had seen the performances. I'll go as far to say that if VCU would've performed, they would've taken 2nd (that's how much I understand BBC judging lol). I'll give some quick rundown of things I remember from Saturday.

- BU - Vardiyan malfunctions are deadly. I don't know if it was just my friends and I, but it was hard to ignore the malfunction. Otherwise the performance was the best performance amongst the Boston teams.
- Nachde Yaar Punjab De - When this performance started, my punjabi friends (non-dancers) said, this is how song selection should be. Really felt like BBC show has begun. For BBC's way of judging, they deserved 2nd/23rd. BTW, every time I see these guys, about 3-4 people keep thinking they're from NYC. During the awards ceremony, they seemed to imply they deserved better, but knowing BBC judging, I knew perfectly well what they would get after the performance.
- UVA - Celtics jersey was a good way to get the crowd behind you. The gabru in yellow was very graceful.
- Jawani Girls - I think this performance was lacking finishing touches.
- NU - Something was lacking from the performance. They were missing that spark to ignite the crowd. Although their "friendly" crowd support was of course there.
- Shaan Mutiyaara Di - My friends were not expecting much from the second girls team after watching Jawani girls, but these girls brought it out. I think their performance had a lot of special girls type "flirty" songs (with that right mix of Miss Pooja), all of which I think was a great idea. I love bhangra when the songs go along with it. Seetiyan vajdia si.
- RU Bhangra - Performance was fairly up to RU's previous performances level, but I was searching for Jaggi in there...
- Anakh-e-Gabru - And Jaggi is here. This performance felt deserving of that placing, with all those gimmicks spread through the whole performance. I think some teams just understand what BBC and audience mix is looking for - entertainment for the masses (Bhangra empire style), and "bhangra' for the hardcore bhangra lovers (VCU style).
- Cornell Bhangra - Cornell had a good solid dance, not extraordinary enough for BBC standards, but there's nothing bad about that.
- Khirre Phul Gulab De - I think they lacked a bit of consistency amongst the dancers. Some dancers were of course better, some were of course just "good". So while the performance was energetic, it was missing the balance that a bhangra team should have. Respect to Dholi Jeetu for doing his thing.
- Bhangra Empire - No matter how much people say they're not doing enough bhangra, they know what the majority of audience is made up of: regular folks coming for entertainment. Most of their performance was filled with gimmicks, that were extremely entertaining for their wow factor. I like bhangra, but I have to respect Bhangra Empire's commercialized Bhangra for how much love they get from the regular masses. I just hope the "bhangra" element doesn't get further diluted in their future performances. Some of their Bhangra does feel a bit robotic with how much sync'ed it is across the team, but I guess people call that "perfection" these days. Their intro video with Obama and all turned a lot of heads.
- MIT - A downgrade after last year's performance. I think the team dancers are almost all different from last year's, so I didn't know what to expect going in.

Forgive me for any harsh words, I was only "trying" to be un-biased. Bhangra is our virsa, I will always congratulate you for all your efforts. Shout outs to the all the performers that recognized me during their performances (lol) and afterwards.

PS: I have to remember to always inquire where BBC afterparty is, beforehand. Cramped "Middle East" club = bad. Spacious Hotel Ballroom = good.

bhangramunda

Hi Jasmeet,

They are a credentialed newspaper, owned by the New York Times and were shooting with permission as a follow-up to the great article that they posted in Friday's paper. That's entirely different than sneaking in a camera and distributing the footage without permission.

Thanks,
-Chris
Boston Bhangra E-board

KingGeorge

Jasmeet said:
Jabar Jung said:
JASMEEET SINGH KAPOOOR TO THE RESCUE!!!!!!!
Since my presence is requested at this moment, I'll share something about the booing incident.

I was about 10 rows back of Virsa, and I saw them in plain view, and I saw the person(s) that was booing. I think it'd be wrong to believe that Virsa can control everyone, and especially someone like the person that booed.

The situation was this....a big fat dude in a red shirt (i believe) was behind us, and ran up to the front of the balcony, and began to boo. It was endless, and he was annoying everyone in the back rows of the balcony, since we couldn't see at all. He later turned around, and gave everyone the finger. This happened repeatedly, and from my recollection, there may have been 2 other people. This person was yelling loudly, and I was able to hear it from afar. This person didn't appear to be associated to Virsa, as I never saw the person again hanging out with them (at the after party or after after party). I don't remember if Virsa was telling the person to go away (but many rows were, and eventually event staff came over, and the person ran away), but, they certainly weren't booing. This is what I saw, if someone saw something different, feel free to share.

In the past, Virsa has come out and said when they booed, and admit to it. In this case, I would take their word on it, and accept that they didn't boo. Sure, the track record may not be great for them in this regard (nor am I defending it), but from what I saw, I feel I should speak up before this blows up to something it doesn't need to be.

That is all from me on this, I will later return with my long ass review.
damnn that sucks... if only there was a way to change the types of fans you have

zagreus

bhangramunda said:
Hi Jasmeet,

They are a credentialed newspaper, owned by the New York Times and were shooting with permission as a follow-up to the great article that they posted in Friday's paper. That's entirely different than sneaking in a camera and distributing the footage without permission.

Thanks,
-Chris
Boston Bhangra E-board
Hi Chris!

dheerja

Just wanted to say thanks on behalf of SMD for an amazing Boston weekend. The committee was great to talk to and very helpful when it came to team concerns. The food situation was wonderful, we didn't have to worry about getting food in the middle of competition stresses, and the after after party was AWESOME. Seriously the most fun I've had after a competition, it was great to just wile out to good music in sweatpants. Kinnell pretty much nailed it with his review of the weekend, in the future I'd advise teams to just go straight to the after after party, it's such a good time.

If anyone has a video of our performance please send it my way, it'd be much appreciated. Congrats to all the teams, especially Empire, AEG, and NYPD for an amazing show that kept me on the edge of my seat!