• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

One Person

Govind

I'd have to thank the living legends....
1) Master Harbhajan Singh
2) Ustad Garib Dass
3) Pammi Bai

Truly amazing people!

Richa

i guess naming one person would be hard so heres a few

1. for aarti and pooja who told me i should try out for a highschool bhangra team
2. for my bro sameer who was on punjab side, uci, and soormay when i never knew the guy could dance and all of a sudden became the best dancer i knew
3. for my brother who started off with break dancing and then going into bhangra with his own style ((seeing him in person made me cry)) arun
4. for who i think is the best female dancer vaneet cheema enough said her skills say it all
5. ajit who was an amazing captain and taught me what i know about traditional bhangra
6. Tina throughout my 3D season i saw her grow into an amazing dancer who now i can undoubtly say is one of the best
7. all the newbiEs coming into the bhangra scene..without them who could ya share something so special with

=)

Saab

Today is a gift
My mother(and to an extent my father)

Although they never had affected my bhangra, or me getting into bhangra, my mother was always the person that gave me the determination and the steel to overcome a lot of disadvantages I had(no one to initially teach, my awkwardness, and the social stigma) and I owe a lot to her upbringing and keeping me up when things are down. I dance not for myself, but always for my family, especially my mom, because I owe a lot to who I am and how I dance to what she instilled in me. I may not be the best, but I respect others and myself thanks to the patience and teachings my mom showed me.

Luv-e

Herman said:
Ustaad Peacock, Pardeep from TEB !! Learned the real meaning of bhangra from him.
Pardeep Samra is def the guy that got me into bhangra..everytime he would hit the dhagga it would just make your legs move and make you want to dance.
he's been a really big part of my bhangra career and all our success as a team (GTA bhangra, Toronto Elite Bhangra) is somewhat thanks to him and his love for the culture and the lok naach bhangra

gdholi7

singhgugu said:
Sarabjit said:
ustaad lal singh bhatti
the dholi?
not only does just teach dhol and singing he also teaches bhangra as well, person who got me started was ustad lal singh bhatti,and also steve from gabroo shokeen, But for dhol ustad lal singh bhatti and raju

joemojoe

got a couple

All those teams from India who go live, those guys practice day and night.....from like waking up at 5 in the morning and doing crazy run throughs.....and to see their crazy action packed performances....always wanted to be like them...

Steve from Gabroo Shokeen.....#1 inspiration....on the stage and as well as off....

and Turbo's performance with couple guys from LBC at Jakara 2005 i think it was? it was a small little performance but the expression he had was really sick, and thought bhangra is something i wanted to perform infront of more people than just on a dance floor at a typical desi party...

Amtej

Although known for his dhol, Ustad Lal Singh Bhatti is more than just a dholi, he really is a legend!

http://www.lalsinghbhatti.com/

But I cant name just one person, my love of bhangra came from the culmination of watching teams like Khalsa Junction, Gabroo Shokeen, LBC, and a host of others.

Taimur K

My One Person would have to be Meryum (from SMD, SOBTv/Sexy Orange, MIT, and more).

I remember when she first became involved with bhangra and the bhangra scene. I pretty much made fun of her and ignored her obsession. But then after I learned some routines for weddings and joined a team or two, it all made sense.

She is also the one who introduced me to BTF...bless her soul.

And even though she pretends like she doesn't like it when I want to talk about bhangra ALL THE TIME - since she thinks I am poser and that I am jumping on her bandwagon- she is still my bhangra hero!

So I suppose I should also give props to SULMAN MIRZA, since he was the one who introduced Meryum to bhangra and brought out and revived her desi-side, which we all thought had faded into oblivion. Thanks SUL$!

campy614

Taimur K said:
My One Person would have to be Meryum (from SMD, SOBTv/Sexy Orange, MIT, and more).

I remember when she first became involved with bhangra and the bhangra scene. I pretty much made fun of her and ignored her obsession. But then after I learned some routines for weddings and joined a team or two, it all made sense.

She is also the one who introduced me to BTF...bless her soul.

And even though she pretends like she doesn't like it when I want to talk about bhangra ALL THE TIME - since she thinks I am poser and that I am jumping on her bandwagon- she is still my bhangra hero!

So I suppose I should also give props to SULMAN MIRZA, since he was the one who introduced Meryum to bhangra and brought out and revived her desi-side, which we all thought had faded into oblivion. Thanks SUL$!
Umm..... wow

Ok, so I can't name one person-so I'll just name a few.

1) Faizan-for introducing me to bhangra in the first place.
2) For the VCU/AVAP-crew/people-who-were-stuck-with-me-AVAP-weekend (Nikhil, Arjun, Sheel, Ram... too many to mention), who somewhat restored my faith in bhangra at a point when I just wanted to quit. Thanks guys

Gaurav

Bhangra

my Chacha, He danced for Khalsa College Amritsar in his final year, thats where i got the interest

Vic(SGPD), Vic got me into bhangra, and tought me everything i no,

Singing

ustaad Raj Kumar, his Sher's are sikk and have soo much meaning in them, he's one of the people that i would love to learn from

Surjit Bindhrakhia Pappi gill & Sarabjit Phull from surrey, by far 3 of the best bhangra boliyan singers that made me want to sing boliyan

Jaskaran

Surinder and Harinder Dhanoa

My Tayaa Ji and Dad are the reason I'm in this... and a reason why I'm all about tradition, and why I get angered when I see bhangra being twisted up...

yeap :)

AnnayPaul

My pops sparked the interest in me...

but.... old Shaan Punjab Di (SJSU) routines and KJ routines made me wanna dance..

oh....and Johnnie Walker Black had a great influence as well.

jassybillo

get the f**k outta here
Once again I would have to say Ramaniii.....

I was newly introduced to this bhangra world thanks to raman...over the passed few months she has gotten me aware of all the teams and ppl out there...

Ramani

jassybillo said:
Once again I would have to say Ramaniii.....

I was newly introduced to this bhangra world thanks to raman...over the passed few months she has gotten me aware of all the teams and ppl out there...
awww thanksss lover

but i have to say is my cousin Sonia from B2B and Meistro :)