• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Props across the Border

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
Hey everyone... so I had no idea where to post this, so I'm going to leave it here.

Last year my team had issues getting props across the US/Canada border. Anyone NOT have this problem-and how can you avoid it?
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Take a flyer or something of the comp, show them you're going for a cultural exhibition act (yeah don't say competing 'cuz they might hassle you about prize money or getting paid). But yeah hmm just say you're going to do a cultural dance and those are your props. Leave your vardi out too, make it real obvious lol. G'luckk!
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Funny Story:

When I bought costumes for my team 2 years ago from India, they were shipped from New Dehli. I had told the business that I dealt with that I needed the team costumes as soon as possible as I was holding a bhangra workshop. Unfortunately, the contact with wasn't very smart when providing a description of the contents.

DESCRIPTION: Uniforms for training camp. Includes kurta, chaader, jacket, turban, arm-bombs, roomal

When my box reached customs in Alaska, I got a pleasant call asking me all these crazy questions. I didn't know that the arm-bombs are called phumans at the time and when I was describing to my contact what I wanted, I had initially described them as ladoo/bombs jewelry. Bad idea, Kinnell, because that's what my contact also used for my convenience. And customs put "uniforms for training camp", "turban" and "arm-bombs" together, called me, got all my information (like current location, social security..etc), had me fax a release form as well as fill out forms describing what exactly were in the boxes.

I got the costume box with a nice "Re-Sealed by Customs" Sticker on it. I cannot believe how ridiculous that description was.
 

Ramani

Member
Messages
760
kinnell said:
Funny Story:

When I bought costumes for my team 2 years ago from India, they were shipped from New Dehli. I had told the business that I dealt with that I needed the team costumes as soon as possible as I was holding a bhangra workshop. Unfortunately, the contact with wasn't very smart when providing a description of the contents.

DESCRIPTION: Uniforms for training camp. Includes kurta, chaader, jacket, turban, arm-bombs, roomal

When my box reached customs in Alaska, I got a pleasant call asking me all these crazy questions. I didn't know that the arm-bombs are called phumans at the time and when I was describing to my contact what I wanted, I had initially described them as ladoo/bombs jewelry. Bad idea, Kinnell, because that's what my contact also used for my convenience. And customs put "uniforms for training camp", "turban" and "arm-bombs" together, called me, got all my information (like current location, social security..etc), had me fax a release form as well as fill out forms describing what exactly were in the boxes.

I got the costume box with a nice "Re-Sealed by Customs" Sticker on it. I cannot believe how ridiculous that description was.
LOLLLLL "arm bombs" hahhaah wow
 

- Raja -

New Member
Messages
686
Mariam said:
Take a flyer or something of the comp, show them you're going for a cultural exhibition act (yeah don't say competing 'cuz they might hassle you about prize money or getting paid). But yeah hmm just say you're going to do a cultural dance and those are your props. Leave your vardi out too, make it real obvious lol. G'luckk!

thats exactly what we do!! works perfectly
 

nachstar

New Member
Messages
36
the description on the box does make it sound like terrorist activites:p
gud thing, they didnt take u into custody or anythin
now a days, anythtin near violence will mess u up
 

Gurvir

Member
Messages
704
well our team is from lynden, WA which is basically on the border of canada so we end up doing lots of receptions...we go to canada a lot and all we say is that we are a dance team going to a performance the the border patrol guys just like "oh ok"
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
kinnell said:
Funny Story:

When I bought costumes for my team 2 years ago from India, they were shipped from New Dehli. I had told the business that I dealt with that I needed the team costumes as soon as possible as I was holding a bhangra workshop. Unfortunately, the contact with wasn't very smart when providing a description of the contents.

DESCRIPTION: Uniforms for training camp. Includes kurta, chaader, jacket, turban, arm-bombs, roomal

When my box reached customs in Alaska, I got a pleasant call asking me all these crazy questions. I didn't know that the arm-bombs are called phumans at the time and when I was describing to my contact what I wanted, I had initially described them as ladoo/bombs jewelry. Bad idea, Kinnell, because that's what my contact also used for my convenience. And customs put "uniforms for training camp", "turban" and "arm-bombs" together, called me, got all my information (like current location, social security..etc), had me fax a release form as well as fill out forms describing what exactly were in the boxes.

I got the costume box with a nice "Re-Sealed by Customs" Sticker on it. I cannot believe how ridiculous that description was.
thanks kinnell, sadly they still think that b/c my uncle couldn't send us any phumans w/our stuff
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
kinnell said:
Funny Story:

DESCRIPTION: Uniforms for training camp. Includes kurta, chaader, jacket, turban, arm-bombs, roomal
training camp

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAAHAAA AMAZING STORYY
 

jvirk

New Member
Messages
889
i am going to toronto on monday and im going to be bringing supps back frm there..even bhangra items such as new vests for our team and new jewelry and phuman..i mite even bring back new khundey if i can...ill post back here on tuesday to see if they gave me any problems and ill let u guys kno everything!

-justin singh virk
ecu bhangra
 

Ashveer

New Member
Messages
492
It seems like there is a difference from east coast/west coast...We've never had a problem on this side.
 

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
muqabla89 said:
i am going to toronto on monday and im going to be bringing supps back frm there..even bhangra items such as new vests for our team and new jewelry and phuman..i mite even bring back new khundey if i can...ill post back here on tuesday to see if they gave me any problems and ill let u guys kno everything!

-justin singh virk
ecu bhangra
would greatly appreciate it :)
 

Nikhil

New Member
Messages
881
I thought this thread would be about BTF getting props (for it being tight) across the border. Way to disappoint dude...
JK, hope you had fun stealing Arjun from us and from his BTF duties :D
 
Top