• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

So You Think You Can NAACH?

Raj

New Member
Messages
79
New up-coming dance competition in Atlanta. Featuring:

12 TEAMS IN 3 COMPETITIVE GENRES
-BOLLYWOOD FUSION
-GARBA/RAAS
-BHANGRA
3 FIRST PLACE WINNERS...
1 OVERALL CHAMPION WILL BE CROWNED

Total Prize Pool: $4500

www.naachnow.com (pretty sweet flash work)


What do you guys think?
 

Govind

Member
Messages
364
kewl website...i'm not making a statement about gujjus at all but...
DAMN I've never seen so many gujjus on a dance competition committee? great that they're donating to ASHA :) and that's on their main page too.
 

Raj

New Member
Messages
79
hahaha well it is Atlanta. I don't know how many of you have been, but Gujrati's are to ATL as Punjabi's are to Toronto. And I agree about the ASHA thing, it is definitely always nice to see a competition donating proceeds to a charitable organization :)

I hope it will be a good competition. Atlanta has needed a Desi Dance Competition of some sort for a long time now..hopefully this one will not disappoint those of us from Georgia.

And three parties?? I love Atlanta, always throwing down hard. Thursday night Weekend Kick-off party, Friday night Official Pre-Party, and Saturday night Official After Party. Can't wait 8)
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
I like the site, it's slick.
I hope the judging is going to be solid for the event.
 

Jap

New Member
Messages
53
Haha i def. agree with Jasmeet
website is sickkk, has a nice club theme

anyways def. looking forward to this event
ROAD TRIPPP! :)
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
The site is definitely well designed but unfort., I think in terms of website efficiency, loading/effects make everything take too long. If I wanted quick information, I would be hard-pressed to obtain it in an efficient manner.

But the competition looks pretty promising nonetheless.

However, I think, as I pointed out to one of your PR guys (Ankur), your competition seems to cater to college teams (and thus the "College/University" line in your Reg packet.) However, your registration date is insanely early for most college teams (July 7th late reg WITH audition tape) especially for a Oct. 11 competition. It seems very... contradictory... ::)
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Jap.Chahal said:
Haha i def. agree with Jasmeet
website is sickkk, has a nice club theme

anyways def. looking forward to this event
ROAD TRIPPP! :)
i'll take a road trip with you jap... ;) ;) ;)
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
ATLANTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Any ideas or predictions bout judging/selection? You think they'll go more for modern b-teams? Anyone applying?

ASHA sounds sweet. My family works with a similar charity, DIL [Development In Literacy] in Pakistan. Great idea, I hope it goes really well for them!
 

Raj

New Member
Messages
79
Mariam, I'm pretty sure we are applying, being that we live one hour away from Atlanta..it wouldn't make sense not to right? As far as judging goes, I'm not sure at all. I think this is the first time this competition is being done so there is no telling who the judges are going to be. With that in mind, the judges would need to be qualified to judge bhangra, garba/raas, and bollywood. Understanding the techniques and correct execution of bhangra alone is a challenge, and I'm sure the same applies for garba/raas and bollywood fusion. Maybe they will have an expert from each of the three fields? I don't know how you would accurately judge all three categories being that each is so vastly different from the other. How does Best of the Best do it? Anyone know?

Oh and Kinnell about the audition tape, it says it needs to have been recorded after November 2007 up until present time. So it's not too bad, just send in an old audition tape. I think they just want to see what kind of style you bring, not necessarily what the exact performance is going to be on the night of the performance.
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
We're going!! Venue and hotel look sweeeeeett. ATL - I'm excited! Fusion teams should be fun to watch, too. When is the lineup coming out??
 

Havish

New Member
Messages
250
Heres the lineup:

-Bollywood/Fusion-
Drexel Jhalak - Drexel University
Emory Apsaras- Emory University
UVA Sharaara - University of Virginia
Tufaan- Georgia Tech & Georgia State University

-Bhangra-
NYU Bhangra- New York University
The Michigan Bhangra Team - University of Michigan
ECU Muqabla - East Carolina University
Anakh Shaukeena Di- University of Michigan Dearborn

-Garba/Raas-
Tar Heel Raas- University of North Carolina
Emory SaRaas- Emory University
VCU Raas-A-Holics- Virginia Commonwealth University
Dandiya Dhamaka

Should be a great time down in ATL...
 
Top