• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

SoCal Gidah Teams Announced

SunnyJ

New Member
Messages
13
SoCal Gidha on November 22nd 2008 @ USC Bovard Auditorium!

Congrats to all teams:

Just A Traditional Team (JATT) Riverside/Fresno, CA
Majajan Incorporated Walnut, CA
Nakhre Kudiyan De (NKD) Orange County, CA
Raunak Vehre Di Vancouver, BC
Shaan Punjabana Di Abbotsford, BC
UC Davis Giddha Davis, CA

www.SoCalGidha.com
 

Attachments

Vick

Member
Messages
990
JATT? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA.. they couldnt do bhangra, so they started doing Gidha... Someone please record this disaster... I cant wait to see this video.... JATT doing gidha, wow...
 

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
I think it's a damn smart move: one all-guys team shows up at the competition hotel with 5 other all-girls teams. *snap*

Honestly though, how is that a good move from either the team or the competition's perspective? It defeats the purpose of creating a separate competition for giddha if youre then going to have two different styles, the guys' malwai (or whatever is done) vs the girls'. And it's not like JATT is competing against another guys malwai giddha team. From the team's perspective, they will now be at the butt end of jokes about going (winning or losing) to a giddha competition.
 

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
SunnyJ said:
SoCal Gidha on November 22nd 2008 @ USC Bovard Auditorium!

Congrats to all teams:

Just A Traditional Team (JATT) Riverside/Fresno, CA
Majajan Incorporated Walnut, CA
Nakhre Kudiyan De (NKD) Orange County, CA
Raunak Vehre Di Vancouver, BC
Shaan Punjabana Di Abbotsford, BC
UC Davis Giddha Davis, CA

www.SoCalGidha.com
Yeeeee....im going!
go DAVIS!!
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
i really commend the organizers for starting something like this

finally competitions with more girls than guys....mawhahahahah
 

Jaskaran

New Member
Messages
66
Saleem and Vick thanks for the negativity and hate but why? You don't even know why we are doing this. SoCals never seen the light of malwai gidha, and its a gidha comp. We wanted to do exhibition but they told us to just compete because they said, "if girls can compete in bhangra competitions, I dont see why you guys cant do it here." We aren't doing this for any other reason but to show the other aspects of our culture. I'm actually happy that they are doing this gidha compeition, it is a part of our culture that was being lost in translation and now this will help it out alongside the other competition in April. So good luck to all the teams.

We are here for the purpose of showing other aspects of our culture, and to have fun with it, bhangra and stuff isn't life for me.

And you said it defeats the purpose because its 2 separate types of dances? How bout bhangra comps that throw this bs modern bhangra teams and traditional teams in the same comp. Its like you said "2 separate types." Everyone try to look at the bigger picture rather than, "OMG a guys teams at a girls comp." Try to see what we are trying to do. Sorry Saleem not trying to put you on blast. Vick I'm not even gonna say anything to you.

Thanks.
 

HarmanSingh

New Member
Messages
531
Jaskaran, don't take the stuff these guys say personally. Props to you guys for doing this, its pretty tight that you guys are exploring other parts of our culture besides bhangra.

I swear, if this were a team you guys were cool with, their would be NO hate coming from you guys. The level of bias on this website is amazing...see JATT and trash them no matter what.
 

Jaskaran

New Member
Messages
66
Yea Harman, I don't take it personally, just wanted to clear the ignorance. But thanks a lot, I'm glad you see what we are trying to do.

Eh, your on PDDS, so that means you know Sukh right? His dad and my dad know each other haha. Oh yea, lemme borrow your algozey player for this gidha comp hahaha

HarmanSingh said:
Jaskaran, don't take the stuff these guys say personally. Props to you guys for doing this, its pretty tight that you guys are exploring other parts of our culture besides bhangra.

I swear, if this were a team you guys were cool with, their would be NO hate coming from you guys. The level of bias on this website is amazing...see JATT and trash them no matter what.
 

Manjot

Active Member
Messages
2,058
Saleem said:
I think it's a damn smart move: one all-guys team shows up at the competition hotel with 5 other all-girls teams.
Yeh hahah thats gonna be something lol
but yeh Malwai Gidha is sickkkkk..I love the boliyaans!
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Jaskaran said:
Saleem and Vick thanks for the negativity and hate but why? You don't even know why we are doing this. SoCals never seen the light of malwai gidha, and its a gidha comp. We wanted to do exhibition but they told us to just compete because they said, "if girls can compete in bhangra competitions, I dont see why you guys cant do it here." We aren't doing this for any other reason but to show the other aspects of our culture. I'm actually happy that they are doing this gidha compeition, it is a part of our culture that was being lost in translation and now this will help it out alongside the other competition in April. So good luck to all the teams.

We are here for the purpose of showing other aspects of our culture, and to have fun with it, bhangra and stuff isn't life for me.

And you said it defeats the purpose because its 2 separate types of dances? How bout bhangra comps that throw this bs modern bhangra teams and traditional teams in the same comp. Its like you said "2 separate types." Everyone try to look at the bigger picture rather than, "OMG a guys teams at a girls comp." Try to see what we are trying to do. Sorry Saleem not trying to put you on blast. Vick I'm not even gonna say anything to you.

Thanks.
Oh I dont know, did you read the message boards about a month before bruin or so? Not that any of your guys came on POL and self pumped or anything, what kinda teams do that kinda stuff? Oh and, I guess all that self pumping on POL took away from practice time and it showed on stage... but you didnt hear it from me...
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
As I said before, lets wish JATT and everyone else well in the new season. I honestly think its a great idea that they decided to showcase malwai gidha at this competition. Malwai gidha, is a TYPE of gidha afterall. Just because they're guys does not yield any reason why they shouldnt be able to compete. Gidha is not only for women. This isnt DDA 2006 where a gidha team beat a bhangra team at a BHANGRA competition. Lets be rational here guys. JATT's ability to display malwai gidha shows some pretty deep versatility. Malwai Gidha is not as easy as it seems and not many teams are able to do that. I actually commend them for entering this competition no matter what the outcome is. Rather than saying they will be the butt of all jokes after this, I think they will have left a mark as the first Bhangra/Malwai Gidha team on the competitive circuit. Not many teams can say that. I dont think we've given them a fair chance to display their talent as they have only competed at bruin. Texas bhangra competition is coming up Nov. 15th and socal gidha is coming up Nov. 22nd. Lets all be patient and see what they bring. Whoever wants to be the judge of whether they've redeemed themselves after that can be free to do so, but until then, lets chill out on all the hating.
 

Ashqe

Member
Messages
610
Yeah I agree Meistro, they at least deserve a second chance. But, I tried watching Malwai Giddha on youtube and.. I have absolutely no idea what's going on haha. Knowing Punjabi would help but whatever. I've seen Malwai Giddha done with boys and girls, but is it mostly a male form of Giddha?
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Prediction: JATT wins because they're the only male team in the competition and the judges are "wowed" by that...
or
Prediction 2: JATT doesn't win and they continue to be the laughing stock of Bhangra...

I'm not hating, just stating what I think might happen...
 

Jap Brar

New Member
Messages
269
Ok serioulsy, agreeing with the other fellas, how about we just leave JATTS alone. I mean to what extent can one actually criticize a team for making a mistake? JATT has learned from its mistakes and has started on a new sense of commitment where it can be able to perform traditional bhangra in a more developed manner. Vick, i've noticed that many of your remarks on behalf of BTF have been about ambivalent and peculiar criticism. Bro, have you been on a team at all before??

On another note, malwai kidha will be SICK. Hoping to see what the girls got and what the guys can show regarding a different perspective of traditional dancing. Malwai kidha is a different and entertaining type of dance that many people will hopefully enjoy and develop better taste of because I can assure you that it will definitely prosper in the future.
 
Top