• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

SoCal Gidah Teams Announced

Saleem

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
1,928
Hi Jaskaran,

Not trying to be negative towards your team at all, just trying to understand how this might play out and understand the motives behind accepting two very different types of giddha teams. As I said, it will be difficult for the judges to fairly judge the two types of giddha (just like it is difficult for judges to compare modern to traditional teams as you said). Generally with the latter, though, judges are given a mandate or rubric on how to weight traditionality versus how many points are there for "creativity". It will be hard here to weight it one way or another.

I wish the team well and look forward to the Malwai Giddha that you guys bring. We (Cornell) did an impromptu Malwai giddha on about 20 minutes notice before exhibiting it on campus back in 2004 and let's just say it wasn't fully appreciated 8). Will be good to see a proper performance. I probably would have been super enthusiastic to see an exhibition Malwai team; the competing aspect is what worries me.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Jap, No I havent... I go to Virginia Tech, the closest bhangra team is a 150 miles away in UVA... and ummm, not to be peculiar or anything, its "malwai Gidha", not Kidha... I think... and you all can love JATT all you want, I choose not to, thats my problem and not yours... so leave it at that... It's a forum and I reserve the right to make whatever statements I want as long as I dont push the boundaries set by the moderators....I wont kiss ass just because JATT all of a sudden has made a commitment to doing something thats a little out there... If they win, more power to them, but in the end its a gidha competition... GIDHA! not BHANGRA, but GIDHA... next they'll be doing GARBA....
 

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
I don't think its a matter of comparing styles. Personally, I think its a matter of what each team presents and what each team lacks as a way of comparing the the two teams. The team that presents its own style the best, with the least amount of mess ups (if that isnt already implied), should be declared the winner. A judge can't compare styles-he/she cant say "oh well girls' giddha is better so this team wins over that one"... or say for that matter "traditional style bhangra is better so this team wins rather than the other one that did well too" because that minimizes the main factor of a performance that the judges are supposed to be comparing-how well the teams actually danced.

And I think it's interesting and cool that JATT's doing a malwai giddha-partially because I've never seen a malwai giddha performance.
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
k2l said:
SoCal Gidha has decided to cancel 10 days before the competition.

Will someone be kind enough and tell me whose going to be paying for all the money the teams lost in plane tickets, hotel rents, cars rented out and time taken off work?

The plane tickets alone cost our team $2043.

I hope someone can respond to this because none of the organizers has been answering our phone calls or responding to our emails.
Are you serious? HAHAHAHHAA, gotta love gidha competitions....
 
Top