Amit
New Member
- Messages
- 187
I do not know anything about the particular situation over the weekend, nor do I feel comfortable preaching about how bhangra should or should not be in NA, but I do want to follow up on Waleed's core point.
One of the main things that drew me to bhangra as a high-schooler was the passion for the art and culture that I saw on stage. From hanging out with my sister and meeting a lot of teams through her, it seemed like so many teams just had a great camaraderie through this common link. I love bhangra, you love bhangra, we can connect on this. It always seemed like competitions were cool to win, but bhangra in and of itself was a reward, in the form of a great network of like-minded individuals. A situation like this past weekend's just demolishes that notion. It says that teams can get along and have this common bond, but when it comes to the size of a trophy and bragging rights, all bets are off. If my first time seeing bhangra was at Masti 3, I doubt bhangra would have the same allure that it did to me years ago. It would just leave a bad taste in my mouth and reach of artificiality.
Perhaps it's unfair to expect top teams to be role models and ambassadors of bhangra, but that's a price of greatness. It's the same price that celebrities have to pay and in the bhangra/desi communities, top teams do have celebrity status.
One of the main things that drew me to bhangra as a high-schooler was the passion for the art and culture that I saw on stage. From hanging out with my sister and meeting a lot of teams through her, it seemed like so many teams just had a great camaraderie through this common link. I love bhangra, you love bhangra, we can connect on this. It always seemed like competitions were cool to win, but bhangra in and of itself was a reward, in the form of a great network of like-minded individuals. A situation like this past weekend's just demolishes that notion. It says that teams can get along and have this common bond, but when it comes to the size of a trophy and bragging rights, all bets are off. If my first time seeing bhangra was at Masti 3, I doubt bhangra would have the same allure that it did to me years ago. It would just leave a bad taste in my mouth and reach of artificiality.
Perhaps it's unfair to expect top teams to be role models and ambassadors of bhangra, but that's a price of greatness. It's the same price that celebrities have to pay and in the bhangra/desi communities, top teams do have celebrity status.