• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Superstars of Dance airing in January - Team India

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
Btw, here's the link to India's 'team performance'

http://www.nbc.com/superstars-of-dance/video/clips/bollywood/916462/

Man, I don't know what to say after watching that. I bet the dancers worked hard & kudos on that but the blame lies with the coach, I frankly don't support his vision. He forced bhangra moves in to a purely bollywood song, the moves looked jerky and lacked flow. The outfits were a disaster, proper vardiyan would have looked so much more magestic and would have more of a wow factor. They should have done a full bollywood song with bollywood dancers (it seemed like a lot of guys were bhangra dancers forced to do bollywood choreo) OR better yet, done a bhangra song with the best bhangra dancers.
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Boston Bhangra said:
My main question in regard to this "bhangra" segment was, why not just call it bollywood as that is what it was. I'm not sure why Nakul would argue against just calling it Bollywood. By calling it Bhangra, Nakul is misrepresenting what the dance form trully is. I can totally understand how the dancers don't have a say in this and how they can get pushed into things. However, I don't understand why Nakul wouldn't just call this Bollywood.
I disagree. India has so many different styles of dance, yet Nakul seems only be able to tap into a few. If Nakul attempted a Dhol Baje choreo, he would call it raas/garba even though real raas/garba is so much different.

There WERE bhangra moves in the routine, plenty of them actually. I know that having moves doesn't simply make it a bhangra routine, but while it was a lame representation of bhangra, I do think the title Bollywood/Bhangra is appropriate.
 

Ashqe

Member
Messages
610
Yeah, I agree that the bollywood/bhangra title is somewhat appropriate but when you tell that to us, we are definitely going to expect a lot more legit bhangra which obviously wasn't the case. It seemed more like they didn't really get the best of either type of dance with this performance.
 

ENVY BANG-RUH

Let the music move you!!!!!
Messages
1,151
OPINION:
The group sequence was partially disappointing, in that it was called a BHANGRA performance, i agree with everyone in that it should have been called bollywood/bhangra instead. The dancers on the other had were awesome, they worked hard to get the routine down, though it could have been a better routine if they had used an actual bhangra coach. Sucks that the performers from india couldnt make it due to visa difficulties.


QUESTION:
Couldn't they have used a complete bhangra team from the states such as KJ, Sher Foundation, VCU, or etc...???
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
I wonder what the repercussions, if any at all, of having a bhangra performance in full vardiyaan on the show for entire America to see... Do you think wearing paagris could cause some problems? Perhaps more hate crimes against Indians? While we have become use to seeing hate crimes against Sikhs and Indians because of turbans, do you think it could have been brought up as a concern and a reason against full vardiyaan? Just curious as usual.
 

freaxs03

Ride the Beat
Messages
61
How do I join Team India for Superstar of Dance, next year?

Also, if y'all on the west coast (SoCal), a friend and I want to build a crew and try out for America's Best Dance Crew with Bhangra and Urban Bollywood & (maybe Classical) please PM me.
 

Vivek

Member
Messages
166
Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

http://www.nbc.com/superstars-of-dance/video/episodes/?vid=914321#vid=914321

Chapter 6...

Moderator's Note: This topic has been merged with the one above.
 

pritpal94

Active Member
Messages
1,312
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

Oh for Gods sake!!! I can't watch the video because I'm from the UK!! OMG that sucks!!
:mad:
 

Pooja

I put the double o in cool.
Messages
932
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

There's already a whole post about this show....which one are you talking about?
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

man that was soooooooooooo folk!!!!
no wait...
that was terrible!
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

oh...
and one of the guys looks like Abhijit from BMW...
hmmmm
 

Karan V

Member
Messages
531
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

pritpal94 said:
Oh for Gods sake!!! I can't watch the video because I'm from the UK!! OMG that sucks!!
:mad:
lol i cant watch it too
that suks
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

Jasmeet said:
oh...
and one of the guys looks like Abhijit from BMW...
hmmmm
Abhijit (from BMW and now Sher) and his twin brother are both on Superstars of Dance.
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

kinnell said:
Jasmeet said:
oh...
and one of the guys looks like Abhijit from BMW...
hmmmm
Abhijit (from BMW and now Sher) and his twin brother are both on Superstars of Dance.
no way!!! i knew it! hahahaha...well, now that i've seen this...damn! if they had abhi, they should've done some crazy daang thing, or should've put him on their shoulders!
 

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
Re: Classicaly Trained Traditional Bhangra Dancers

http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/index.php?topic=2612.0

We've been ranting about the show there. Feel free to jump in.

The only thing good about the show so far is that I've been learning Chinese numbers.
 

Gurvir

Member
Messages
704
yeah i just watched the video and im not gonna bash on these guys but that wasnt bhangra. the dancers did a good job of a bollywood dance but it wasnt bhangra. honesly i think one of the california teams could of rocked the house. Good dancing but not bhangra
 

Temurzai

New Member
Messages
397
i watch for the Russian judge. hes too funny man! everytime its his turn to speak his way of relating to the dance/crazy kgb stories are hilarious hahah
 
Top