• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Team Confidentiality

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Messages
2,159
This is in no way an attack on anyone, but a recent issue with our Truskool Folk new costumes being posted prematurely on BTF simply made me think about a few issues in regards to team confidentiality and I wanted your opinions.

If you found the video for another bhangra team online, whether practice or performance, before a competition, would you share it? How bout after the competition, would you share a video of their competition piece with others? What if they asked you not to share it? What if you video-taped the performance yourself, would that make it any different?

I'm sure you'll agree that teams deserve confidentiality (and dancers on the teams also need to maintain that as well), but to what extent? When does a video, music mix, costume pictures, song selection, stunt ideas..etc become public knowledge and no longer applies to confidentiality? Do each of these medias have their own "guidelines"?

Simply asked - Your thoughts. This seems to happen a lot in the CIRCUIT, but I don't think this has been discussed yet.
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
this is the way i look at it....every team has the right to their mix, picture, video....if a teams doesn't want it up then people should not put it up...but if someone doesn't know the team and they put it up its not their fault...but yes if the team asks them to take it down they should..
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Look bro...if you see something you like...you are gonna post it...no question..yes its always good to be understanding of how sensitive whatever it is that your posting...but to teams everywhere..

if you don't want anything online, don't post it...and if someone not on your team posts it...then address the situation immediately...simple as that.

If you are looking for "guidelines" kinell...its simple as respect...as Arethra Franklin so brilliantly spelled out for us.

Being wary of what you are posting and what it could do to the team is basic respect.
 

Manjot

Active Member
Messages
2,058
and with that Jeeti is a senior member!!paltyy

if the video is up that you don't want..best to do is ask the person to take it down...only thing you can pretty much do.
 

Don

New Member
Messages
529
if i find a video that i like..then yes i'll post it. if i had prior knowledge that the team wants to keep the the video confidential then i wouldn't post. If after posting someone from the team asks for it to be removed, i would gladly do so. I wouldn't want something confidential from my team to be out in the public, so it would only make sense to respect other teams' confidentiality
 

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
I was going say what Manjot said
also, in the case of someone else having the video/mix/pic just ask the team....
but as a team they should know who is recording or taking pics and give them a heads up on posting
 

musafir12

New Member
Messages
210
wow good, really serious topic!
i agree with abhi manjot and all the other ppl on this
esp wid if u like sumthing ofcourse u r going to post it, but if the team member of the teamz who's video pix or mixz they shud just ask the person who put it up to take it off...simple as that
 

Kush

Active Member
Messages
1,401
just happened a couple of days ago with a Sher mix. I asked them if they would let me post it, and after an affirmative response, I did. Unfortunately, it was a mistake, and shoulnt have been posted, so I took it down. Just use your discretion and be respectful of a team's wishes is what i think.
 

Arjun Barua

Member
Messages
650
Bhangra is supposed to be about letting loose and having fun. That's why I think none of this confidentiality stuff should matter. But I do understand and respect teams' requests for privacy.

I used to care about that stuff. But I've gone from worrying about what other teams are doing to now just focusing on my own team's dance and dancing for my own enjoyment and the audience's. I love sharing bhangra stuff now. I could care less if it's information that will help a team we're competing against. My mission is to share the wealth and increase everyone's bhangra IQ and mine at the same time. That's what I love about this forum.
 

Vic

Member
Messages
291
It's happened to us. After AVAP we didn't want our routine posted. Only because we were pretty much taking the exact same set to Fusion. I dont think teams should be so tight about posting their video's once they are done with a routine. Whats the big deal, your team made the set, you should be confident of what u made and if its posted let it be. If it's not who cares. I enjoy posting our videos and getting feed back.
 

jack black

New Member
Messages
4
lol almost the same thing happened to pcac i don't no what comp it was but they did compy a team from india (busted) :p
I really hpe they don't do that kind of same stuff in live at groundshaker :-\
 

sulmoney

smd, bitch
Messages
532
i know as a video uploader with sobtv and youtube stuff, i have made a couple rules for myself...
1) i send out a message/post saying that i have videos from such and such show, and that if people want me to NOT post them, contact me within a set period of time, otherwise they will be posted
2) if after posting, a team wants the video to come down, down it goes, no questions asked
otherwise, use your better judgement; chances are, if you dont post, arjun bruahaha will :)
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Depends... You bring your business group, I'll bring myself... Financially if things work out, then you'll be fine...
 

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
sulmoney said:
2) if after posting, a team wants the video to come down, down it goes, no questions asked
otherwise, use your better judgement; chances are, if you dont post, arjun bruahaha will :)
Haha, so true.
 

Velli

I am the Law
Messages
119
I also believe that captains shouldnt share practice videos for opinions, etc.

Once in awhile a practice vid gets in the wrong hands and can ruin an un-performed upcoming routine
 

zagreus

Active Member
Messages
1,473
I looked at confidentiality...if the routine isn't done yet, sure...i won't post it.
but once it's done...
i'll post it up.

i mean...bruahhhhhhh shares a ton of things with us...and they've really opened the world of bhangra more to everyone. i mean...he finds obscure videos.
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Hey some advice you probably already know, but

Never ever post truly confidential stuff on YouTube. There was a video I was so positive I had set to Private, but a few hours later it was Public. I don't know if I made a mistake, the setting didn't go through, or it randomly changed. But just don't take the chance. Upload to YouSendIt if you wanna share securely. Plus with Yousendit even if the download link gets leaked, it will expire in 7 days so another safeguard.

If you absolutely must use YouTube I would name the video something random, and make all the tags totally non-bhangra. Kinnell has mentioned this before. All it takes is one person to stumble upon your vid, then 5 minutes later like a bazillion people will see it.
 

msingh23

New Member
Messages
28
i hate it when teams don't want their video posted, they think the set is too good and what not, but i guess teams will do anything to win and dont let any other team get leverage on them,
 
Top