• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Ten Commandments of Bhangra

Jap

New Member
Messages
53
Jeeti said:
Jap....that stunt mentioned is probably the funniest thing ive heard all day.

excellent, thats a good teammate right there.
hahahahahahahahaha
 

neilD

New Member
Messages
33
Hey,

I was just wondering about the drinking before going on stage issue. Why is it disrespectful? Isn't that kind of how bhangra came to be? People having a good time, drinking, dancing, and from that, making up moves to create what is now called bhangra. So, can some explain why it is wrong now?
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
neilD said:
Hey,

I was just wondering about the drinking before going on stage issue. Why is it disrespectful? Isn't that kind of how bhangra came to be? People having a good time, drinking, dancing, and from that, making up moves to create what is now called bhangra. So, can some explain why it is wrong now?
I consider it disrespectful to the organizers mainly...they put so much effort into putting everything togetherr...going on stage drunk and dancing whether you are good at it or not is just stupid....I've done it for cultural shows or something that are rather light hearted, but doing at comps is just wrong...its your responsibility as a dancer to treat the organizers with the same respect they have treated you with (in in fact they have treated you with respect).

Bhangra did not come to be from drinking...do not associate drinking to bhangra just because alot of the lyrics of punjabi songs today associate the two...live traditional boliyan sets rarely refer to drinking...

maybe someone a bit more versed on the history of bhangra can elaborate further...
 

Manjot

Active Member
Messages
2,058
Don't drink and perform doesn't matter what it is. Respect the vardiyaan, I been always told that.

People do mutha take before going on the stage for the respect part.

whats the point of doing mutha take before putting your feet on the stage if your drunk?
 

pluthra

Member
Messages
296
ys everything starting w/thou shall....(how do u translate thou shall into punjabi)

and wat bout U WILL HAVE FUN WHEN U DO BHANGRA AT PRACTICE AND PERFORMANCES

thou shall shall be changed to U WILL

and people actually drink on stage before performing?!?!?!?!?!
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Parul said:
and people actually drink on stage before performing?!?!?!?!?!
Parul...in my experience, i've never been to a comp and seen a dancer drunk on stage...other people may have different experiences tho..

it probably does happen.
 

Sher

Member
Messages
91
I've definitely seen it happen and I know most people that have been to competitions have (but they may not have noticed). I've talked to alot of people that have said it calms their nerves. Yea I do see it as pretty disrespectful for the reasons Jeeti and Manjot have said and also just because I dont like seeing people with paghs drunk
 

Havish

New Member
Messages
250
Thou shall love bhangra, and perform for the love it

Thou shall do bhangra with a smile or not at all
 

Rahul3

New Member
Messages
179
Jeeti - you're right that it's wrong to drink before a competition because it's disrespectful to the organizers, but in a cultural show or any other show, isn't it still disrespectful to the organizers? I agree with Manjot - that you shouldn't drink no matter what kind of a performance it is - and I think everyone should follow that
 

neilD

New Member
Messages
33
Yo,

I don't really see the difference between a competition and a cultural show. Aren't you no matter what offending someone who organized the event when you drink? Also, nowhere did I directly associate drinking with bhangra, and I am not so ignorant to think that there is one just because they talk about it alot in modern lyrics. However, practically and realistically, a indirect association can be made. Bhangra in its truest form stems from community festivals, where, its reasonable to believe, that many men performing the dance were drunk. Of course, the bhangra we know and love today, has gone far beyond the basic moves that they must have done.

It does make sense that it could be looked at as disrespectful to the vardiyaan. But isn't alcohol just an uplifting drink that may help you become a better dancer by feeling more loose? So, is it not sort of like red bull? Of course, that is only if you don't get too wasted. Alcohol and red bull, hmmm, jager bombs anyone?

p.s.- I know of one team who is famous for gettin wasted before performances.
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
Jeeti - you're right that it's wrong to drink before a competition because it's disrespectful to the organizers, but in a cultural show or any other show, isn't it still disrespectful to the organizers? I agree with Manjot - that you shouldn't drink no matter what kind of a performance it is - and I think everyone should follow that
you and your team mates have worked hard to practice...its not fair to them for someone to get drunk and mess up on stage...no matter where you are...if its a gig it disrespectfully for the people that hired you...if it a culture show its disrespectfully for the family there who have there kids watching the show..
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Touche...you guys are correct...I guess theres really no difference between the two (cultural show or comp)...I think i was somehow trying to justify my own actions to make them sound better. (horrible, I know...but honest)

That being said, you are right NeilD...that you can form an indirect association between the two...but personally, I don't feel it should be done for the reasons I stated as far as respect to the organizers and Manjot's reasoning.

You could make an argument justifying it though (your red bull example)...I just don't think its a good idea, thats all.
 

ban3rg

Active Member
Messages
1,492
Havish said:
Thou shall love bhangra, and perform for the love it

Thou shall do bhangra with a smile or not at all
Word I like these the best.

Thou shall always keep these commandments in mind :)
 

musafir12

New Member
Messages
210
Manjot said:
Don't drink and perform doesn't matter what it is. Respect the vardiyaan, I been always told that.

People do mutha take before going on the stage for the respect part.

whats the point of doing mutha take before putting your feet on the stage if your drunk?

definetly agree with this one!! dont drink and perform plz hella disrespect..buh dont most ppl do tht? lol..
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
Jasmeet said:
Meistro said:
Abhi said:
Thou shall not jack a teams mix and use it for a gig
If you're doing it for like a wedding reception and you get the team's approval theirs nothing wrong with that. I remember one summer we compiled our favorite SHer, LBC, KJ, and SoorMay routines into one mix and did that at receptions all summer. It was fun.
that actually sounds awesome. got a video of it or anything?

or atleast have the mix to that?
here ju go
 

Attachments

Top