• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

VCU elite 8 2011

faizan

Just shut up and dance
perfect kinnell, all my thoughts, except...drop the joker, it's got no more milk to give.

disharma1317

disharmz
personally, i really enjoyed the routine. the mix, as a lot of people pointed out, is straight-up NASTYY. i want it.
i thought the idea of a tribute to the other participating teams. i thought it was creative and unique, but it's also true that it distracted from the VCU dancers' actual performance.

the joker thing at the end was also kind of expected which was a little disappointing (no offense shahzaib hahaha), nothing compared to last year's. like kinnell said, "last year's ending still sends chills down my spine".

so true.

but all in all, it was an amazing performance, as was to be expected of VCU going in to the competition haha

Pavan

like everyone has already said, HOLY SHIT THIS MIX IS AMAZING!!

The performance looks typical VCU, as in it very clean, moves are well executed, nothing too crazy though with the choreo, at least compared to some of the other teams. The energy did seem to drop, esp towards the end. All in all though, a pretty entertaining set.

As for the gimmick, like everyone already said, it draws away from VCU's choreo itself, but I must say that doing something like this is amazing, especially when people are constantly questioning the reasons people/teams do bhangra. Its nice to see VCU is dancing for the right reasons, even at the risk of drawing attention away from their own dancers.

Kush

Pavan said:
like everyone has already said, HOLY SHIT THIS MIX IS AMAZING!!

The performance looks typical VCU, as in it very clean, moves are well executed, nothing too crazy though with the choreo, at least compared to some of the other teams. The energy did seem to drop, esp towards the end. All in all though, a pretty entertaining set.

As for the gimmick, like everyone already said, it draws away from VCU's choreo itself, but I must say that doing something like this is amazing, especially when people are constantly questioning the reasons people/teams do bhangra. Its nice to see VCU is dancing for the right reasons, even at the risk of drawing attention away from their own dancers.
...What reasons are that? lol i'm sorry, why is everyone looking at this gimmick as some sort of selfless, heart warming tribute that somehow dedicated a performance to teams. It was a GIMMICK, something to make their dance stand out. How i saw it? them showing that they could infact do all of the winning elements of ALL the other elite teams. Its a statement of superiority, an attempt at creativity, and a means to winning a competition. The right reasons? If "to win" is considered a right reason, then sure, they did. But lets not call it something its not. just my two cents.

And to ask again, anyone know the sialkoti/dhamaal track?

Pavan

well i assume they knew that having such a gimmick would draw away from their own dancers/set/choreo, and hurt their chances at placing... if thats not true then my argument really isnt valid. I don't think it was really a tribute or anything like that, it seems like a fun gimmick, and even if it hurt their chances at winning, they went ahead at did it for the sake of putting on an entertaining set and having fun on stage... obviously this is based off assumptions ive made.

also sialkoti song is desert rain by edward maya

faizan

Just shut up and dance
well i assume they knew that having such a gimmick would draw away from their own dancers/set/choreo, and hurt their chances at placing...

Pretty sure that if they thought it would hurt their chances of placing, they would not have made the theme the center of attention throughout the set. I think they assumed that the gimmick would give them the extra needed to win, but the assumption that you made should have been the one that was most prominent in their minds.

Pavan

faizan said:
well i assume they knew that having such a gimmick would draw away from their own dancers/set/choreo, and hurt their chances at placing...

Pretty sure that if they thought it would hurt their chances of placing, they would not have made the theme the center of attention throughout the set. I think they assumed that the gimmick would give them the extra needed to win, but the assumption that you made should have been the one that was most prominent in their minds.

fair enough. either way, entertaining set, looking forward to what they bring in the spring. also, loved the beginning of the khunde segment.

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
Kush said:
lol i'm sorry, why is everyone looking at this gimmick as some sort of selfless, heart warming tribute that somehow dedicated a performance to teams. It was a GIMMICK, something to make their dance stand out. How i saw it? them showing that they could infact do all of the winning elements of ALL the other elite teams. Its a statement of superiority, an attempt at creativity, and a means to winning a competition. The right reasons? If "to win" is considered a right reason, then sure, they did. But lets not call it something its not. just my two cents.
Completely agree. It's hilarious that people/audience members/judges saw the gimmick as something other than a gimmick. I mean, I'm sure VCU Bhangra didn't intend it to be interpreted as anything more than it was, but it was kinda surprising to see judges describe it as "very humbling" when it seems obvious that that wasn't the intention. lol

NSC

Just want to note that not all the judges shared unanimous opinion regarding VCU's gimmick. Also, kinnell, what is "obvious" to you might not be what is "obvious" to others, and vice versa. In this case, certain judges comments were also influenced by discussion WITH VCU's captain about the gimmick. You were not in that meeting.

EDIT: Also, I don't think any of us judges thought it was anything more than a gimmick.

sapg21

kinnell said:
Kush said:
lol i'm sorry, why is everyone looking at this gimmick as some sort of selfless, heart warming tribute that somehow dedicated a performance to teams. It was a GIMMICK, something to make their dance stand out. How i saw it? them showing that they could infact do all of the winning elements of ALL the other elite teams. Its a statement of superiority, an attempt at creativity, and a means to winning a competition. The right reasons? If "to win" is considered a right reason, then sure, they did. But lets not call it something its not. just my two cents.
Completely agree. It's hilarious that people/audience members/judges saw the gimmick as something other than a gimmick. I mean, I'm sure VCU Bhangra didn't intend it to be interpreted as anything more than it was, but it was kinda surprising to see judges describe it as "very humbling" when it seems obvious that that wasn't the intention. lol
not sure where you got the information that judges described the gimmick in that fashion, but thats not true.

kinnell

*Account Deactivated*
NSC said:
Just want to note that not all the judges shared unanimous opinion regarding VCU's gimmick. Also, kinnell, what is "obvious" to you might not be what is "obvious" to others, and vice versa. In this case, certain judges comments were also influenced by discussion WITH VCU's captain about the gimmick. You were not in that meeting.

EDIT: Also, I don't think any of us judges thought it was anything more than a gimmick.
LOL, I said it "seemed obvious", not that it was. Subtle difference. :) But you're absolutely correct... We didn't get a chance to hear VCU Captain tell us what he/she intended it to be. We're just discussing how we perceived it and how surprised we are to hear comments from spectators, youtube video watchers and judges given on what we interpreted the intention of the theme to be.

Sapan said:
not sure where you got the information that judges described the gimmick in that fashion, but thats not true.

Superwoman Documentary. It should be noted that the plurality of judges was used to imply "more than one" rather than all-inclusive.

Kush

YAY for the sial koti song. thanks peoples.

Sorry if i came across accusatory pavan, wasnt really trying to be attacking, i just was surprised that this is a prominent view. I wasnt even differentiating judges versus audience members, just spectators on the whole.

but yeah i don't know about it being very humbling.

Nav, you rank Jackson number 1 or what? ;) hahaha

NSC

@kinnell....."seemed obvious" vs "obvious"....haha wow....whatever makes you happy man.

@Kush: Nope, unfortunately, Jackson didn't make my top 5.....hopefully headed back to the Midwest! Find out March 17th 8) ......also, send that vid over brah.

sapg21

kinnell said:
Sapan said:

Superwoman Documentary. It should be noted that the plurality of judges was used to imply "more than one" rather than all-inclusive.
I saw that but I still don't think any of the judges described the gimmick that way haha