• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

VIRSA PUNJAB DA 2012-OFFICIAL LINE UP

dheerja

Member
Messages
607
I'm confused - are people implying that KPGD was rejected? It seemed like they just didn't apply?
 

Ssingh91

New Member
Messages
84
I dont see whats the big deal if they got accepted or they didn't. Its up to the organizers to pick what ever teams they want for there comp.
 

sonehdataweet

New Member
Messages
773
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
 

campy614

New Member
Messages
666
Too many of my friends are competing for me to root for one team without getting my a$$ whooped (except for GJ because I've danced with them before and <3 them)

Good luck to all of the competing teams :)
 

sumeetj

Active Member
Messages
631
soniadewett said:
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
KPGD has one dancer currently enrolled at NC State University who performed with them at BAB (Jawani had 2), as well as a couple of dancers who were state students at some point before but are not enrolled at that university this year. That one student who is currently enrolled is graduating in December, before the competition.

I am only stating this as a response to your post, not to VPD's decision. Thanks for the support sonia, it honestly make me really happy to hear you say you were excited to see what you would bring, but I think we should do the committee a favor and not publicly speculate why they made their selection for the lineup. Two other posters already claimed that it was because "newer teams deserved a chance", where I pointed out that Gajjdi Jawani has been an organized team for at least 1.5 years longer than KPGD has, and the university students debate is put to rest as well because the KPGD dancer (singular) who currently attends n.c.state will not be a student there come the spring semester (and I understand that Jawani's 2 n.c. state dancers will not be performing at VPD either)

Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.
 

squashes

Akash
Messages
31
sumeetj said:
Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.

+1


Sumeet's so cute <3
I actually didn't know you applied though.. Just found out... lol
 
Messages
69
sumeetj said:
soniadewett said:
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
KPGD has one dancer currently enrolled at NC State University who performed with them at BAB (Jawani had 2), as well as a couple of dancers who were state students at some point before but are not enrolled at that university this year. That one student who is currently enrolled is graduating in December, before the competition.

I am only stating this as a response to your post, not to VPD's decision. Thanks for the support sonia, it honestly make me really happy to hear you say you were excited to see what you would bring, but I think we should do the committee a favor and not publicly speculate why they made their selection for the lineup. Two other posters already claimed that it was because "newer teams deserved a chance", where I pointed out that Gajjdi Jawani has been an organized team for at least 1.5 years longer than KPGD has, and the university students debate is put to rest as well because the KPGD dancer (singular) who currently attends n.c.state will not be a student there come the spring semester (and I understand that Jawani's 2 n.c. state dancers will not be performing at VPD either)

Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.

So why even bother arguing ? Just let it go now.
 

jvirk

New Member
Messages
889
parampreetsekhon said:
sumeetj said:
soniadewett said:
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
KPGD has one dancer currently enrolled at NC State University who performed with them at BAB (Jawani had 2), as well as a couple of dancers who were state students at some point before but are not enrolled at that university this year. That one student who is currently enrolled is graduating in December, before the competition.

I am only stating this as a response to your post, not to VPD's decision. Thanks for the support sonia, it honestly make me really happy to hear you say you were excited to see what you would bring, but I think we should do the committee a favor and not publicly speculate why they made their selection for the lineup. Two other posters already claimed that it was because "newer teams deserved a chance", where I pointed out that Gajjdi Jawani has been an organized team for at least 1.5 years longer than KPGD has, and the university students debate is put to rest as well because the KPGD dancer (singular) who currently attends n.c.state will not be a student there come the spring semester (and I understand that Jawani's 2 n.c. state dancers will not be performing at VPD either)

Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.

So why even bother arguing ? Just let it go now.
he's not arguing he's clarifying.
 
Messages
69
jvirk said:
parampreetsekhon said:
sumeetj said:
soniadewett said:
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
KPGD has one dancer currently enrolled at NC State University who performed with them at BAB (Jawani had 2), as well as a couple of dancers who were state students at some point before but are not enrolled at that university this year. That one student who is currently enrolled is graduating in December, before the competition.

I am only stating this as a response to your post, not to VPD's decision. Thanks for the support sonia, it honestly make me really happy to hear you say you were excited to see what you would bring, but I think we should do the committee a favor and not publicly speculate why they made their selection for the lineup. Two other posters already claimed that it was because "newer teams deserved a chance", where I pointed out that Gajjdi Jawani has been an organized team for at least 1.5 years longer than KPGD has, and the university students debate is put to rest as well because the KPGD dancer (singular) who currently attends n.c.state will not be a student there come the spring semester (and I understand that Jawani's 2 n.c. state dancers will not be performing at VPD either)

Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.

So why even bother arguing ? Just let it go now.
he's not arguing he's clarifying.

idk why is he "clarifying" the same thing twice ?
 

Love

New Member
Messages
311
parampreetsekhon said:
jvirk said:
parampreetsekhon said:
sumeetj said:
soniadewett said:
It's pretty apparent what happened during the selection process, i'm sure it was a tough decision for the VPD Committee. Virsa Punjab Da strictly states that anyone who goes to NC State University cannot compete at VPD since it is sponsored by NC State. They can take part in exhibition acts and help run the competition but dancing at the competition is a big no no. KPGD has dancers all across North Carolina and the east coast. Some of their dancers do go to NC state as well. In a committees perspective I understand why they'd pick other local teams over KPGD. Perhaps the VPD committee didn't take KPGD because there were dancers that dance for NC State in the tryout video? And there is therefore too much possibility for bias? I mean at the end of the day it is up to the committee to decide what teams they're going to take or not. After KPGD's performance at BAB I was quite looking forward to what y'all had to bring to the table next.


Good Luck to Gajjdi Jawani and JJ :)
KPGD has one dancer currently enrolled at NC State University who performed with them at BAB (Jawani had 2), as well as a couple of dancers who were state students at some point before but are not enrolled at that university this year. That one student who is currently enrolled is graduating in December, before the competition.

I am only stating this as a response to your post, not to VPD's decision. Thanks for the support sonia, it honestly make me really happy to hear you say you were excited to see what you would bring, but I think we should do the committee a favor and not publicly speculate why they made their selection for the lineup. Two other posters already claimed that it was because "newer teams deserved a chance", where I pointed out that Gajjdi Jawani has been an organized team for at least 1.5 years longer than KPGD has, and the university students debate is put to rest as well because the KPGD dancer (singular) who currently attends n.c.state will not be a student there come the spring semester (and I understand that Jawani's 2 n.c. state dancers will not be performing at VPD either)

Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.

So why even bother arguing ? Just let it go now.
he's not arguing he's clarifying.

idk why is he "clarifying" the same thing twice ?
He was clarifying a common misunderstanding on this thread about his team, and he did it in a straightforward way. He even reiterated that it's not written in a negative connotation...
 

lavesh

Member
Messages
421
sumeetj said:
Just to clarify (because on internet it is easy to misread tone/sarcasm/etc) I am not writing this message in a negative connotation towards VPD or sonia in any way. I am simply stating facts that relate to some speculations made by other posters and putting them to rest, as well as (hopefully) doing the committee a favor and not having public speculations on why they choose one team over another, etc.
sumeet, ur my boy, but while u state u have no "negative connotation" towards vpd or that fudu sonia :) , you CLEARLY have one towards gajjdi jawani (as evident by your multiple comparisons between kpgd and gj)...fine i get it - you think your team should be in instead of gj. ur perfectly entitled to your opinion, but "clarifying" your position is simply your way of subtly trying to take a shot at my squad's spot in the lineup...idk y the committee picked our team over urs - maybe they wanted a new team, maybe they didnt want to take a team that was so heavily affiliated with ncsu (you actually have at least 5 dancers who have either taken classes at state or danced with state in the last year), or maybe, dare i say it, there were teams that had a better tryout video....either way, i agree that there is no reason to speculate any further about the committee's decision, the lineup was great last year when kpgd was in it, and it is great this year as well

keep it up vpd, thanks for giving a medium for bhangra to flourish in nc!
 

sumeetj

Active Member
Messages
631
Dear BTF and VPD,

I am sorry this thread turned into a Gajjdi Jawani vs. KPGD thread. I was only defending points made by people who were trying to state why Gajjdi Jawani itself was chosen over KPGD (for parampreetsekhon is not affiliated with any team in the area, and why else would a random poster care what I have to say about my team's dancers) and then another poster stating "new teams need a chance" when every other team in the lineup (aside from ESA, which we all know has no new dancers by any means) is a well recognized team, and then a speculation from poster sonia on the competition's decision.

In the end, VPD is a great folk competition, and don't let these posters who have the ability to write publicly on BTF but can't text/Facebook their own "friend" about their stuff make the competition seem less legit.

Sumeet

PS-My sister dances with Gajjdi Jawani (hasn't for a few months because of school), and I have gone to practice and helped the team out as well as performed with them and on behalf of Natya Academy with Gajjde Gabroo and at other events. Any single person who thinks I am immature to have a "grudge" against them needs to re-think their definition of friendship and bhangra.

Again, if someone makes false accusations about your team on a public forum, I think any one would want to defend themselves and CLARIFY the facts.

(BTW lavesh, maybe you should worry less about what dancers are on my team's roster, because since I actually keep up with my friends, I think I know what university they are enrolled in or not.)
 
Top