• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

    New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Aspect of Teams from India

Billy Bob

New Member
Messages
163
Do you think India teams watch our videos from North America, especially the ones to music or co-ed and think its good? Do you know of anyone on an India team that has watched a NA team's video? What do they think? I'm more or less speaking of videos of the more established teams in NA.

Thoughts? Experience?
 

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
If youtube is as big of a phenomenon as it is over here, I'm sure they have seen NA videos because if you search youtube with the keyword 'bhangra' or 'bhangra team' its almost all teams from our side of the globe. How they feel about NA teams is another story, I'm curious to know myself.

Also, check this thread out:
http://bhangrateamsforum.com/discuss/index.php?topic=35.0
 

Meistro

Asi Shounk Nu Karaiyaan Muschaan Kundiyaan...
Messages
2,065
I cant see india teams appreciating anything that deviates from pure traditional bhangra. Modern bhangra just isnt what they're used to seeing. Even co-ed bhangra over there has pretty traditional actions. I can see them digging stuff from teams like Heeray, Ava, Shan-e, Rpd, VCU, 3D, Duniya co-ed, etc
 

Mukandpuria

New Member
Messages
1,413
i don't think YouTUbe is as big in India as it is here...not only that but a lot of pinds don't have fast internet...most of punjab still runs on 56k...more of the cities have cable modems, lol but i don't see a lot of bhangra teams sitting down watching videos they usually out and chilling. playing soccer or cricket...just from what i have seen
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
I'm thinking same as Abhi, that most of India still has slow internet connections. I know not too long ago in Pakistan even the internet cafes couldn't play video well, people mostly just use the internet for e-mail and basic stuff. Then city people may not be on or affiliated with bhangra teams, and kids at these colleges we see vids of probably don't have time. Though who knows, all it would take is 1 person to find a vid then they could show it to everyone...

Anyone who's got family or friends in Punjab who are on bhangra teams definitely try to find out, I'm curious
 

tonygarcha

New Member
Messages
67
i agree with meistro to an extent, we look at india bhangra and we see what traditional (proper if you would prefer) bhangra is...but doesn't anyone ever think that they may be intrigued by the style we have in NA? I always think that. I have talked to a few individuals over the years who have visited from india and many have said that we made it so unique and diverse in the west with music and more flare...thats also a thought to consider
 

Jabar Jung

New Member
Messages
926
YES they do, i was there last month and my cousin told me...their school did khalsa junction's 03 :-X :mad:routine...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performace like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Jabar Jung said:
YES they do, i was there last month and my cousin told me...their school did khalsa junction's 03 :-X :mad:routine...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performace like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.

hahaha its a very classic situation where those in India are trying be much more like the west (see bollywood movies)....and us here are trying to be more traditional..I think it has a bit to do with human nature...those that were not born or haven't lived in india for quite some are intrigued by the tradition rooted in India, while those in India that have been there their whole life are intrigued by our "modern" ways...

It's hard to put in words.
 

Waleed

New Member
Messages
729
Jabar Jung said:
YES they do, i was there last month and my cousin told me...their school did khalsa junction's 03   :-X :mad:routine...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performace like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
Is this them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ir04KRwVc8

Also, I think its fine if a team in India did a NA routine, I'm sure they enjoy dancing to a different style of choreography just to mix things up for them.
 

Jeeti

New Member
Messages
974
Waleed said:
Jabar Jung said:
YES they do, i was there last month and my cousin told me...their school did khalsa junction's 03 :-X :mad:routine...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performace like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
Is this them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ir04KRwVc8

Also, I think its fine if a team in India did a NA routine, I'm sure they enjoy dancing to a different style of choreography just to mix things up for them.
Thank you Waleed for posting that video...that was really interesting to watch cuz it is KJ's choreo...but they have their own spin on it just cuz I am sure they are not really used to dancing in NA style....the differences are subtle but significant....
 

Sohaj

Member
Messages
44
When we talk about Indian teams...we gotta realize that their is atleast three different kinds of Indian bhangra teams. First is a team that consists of amateur dancers where most members don't know much about bhangra and the intricacies involved in the dance. These teams would generally be bunch of college students getting together to dance at a school event and generally the team is done after the performance. They would be more prone to be influenced by NA bhangra. Second is your university level bhangra teams. These are your PAU, Daviet, GNDU, Khalsa College, Sarabha, etc...They mostly do bhangra on dhol so NA influence would be limited. Third is professional teams. They are the ones that dance at weddings and are in music videos. Many of them make their living by doing bhangra and probably don't have access to computers.

I have cousins who have danced for GNDU, DAV college and Khalsa College; and I have cousins who are part of professional teams; they all are really big on traditionality of bhangra. I believe that they would definitely respect bhangra in NA a lot more as it is today compared to a few years ago.
 

Jabar Jung

New Member
Messages
926
no, thats that the team. That looks like a college team, the team i am talking about is like a high school team.
 

sulmoney

smd, bitch
Messages
532
the man to talk to on this subject is govind, ill try to sum up what he said to me when we talked about this topic. when he was doing his internship/summer project in punjab last summer and spent time with the PAU boys, he said they definitely watched american stuff, and for the most part appreciated it. what he mentioned was that they enjoyed the more entertaining aspects, and that we were trying to make the dance our own while maintaining the roots of bhangra. they were not appalled but what they were seeing, as some of us mentioned here. also, one other thing govind mentioned to me was that they really dug that girls were doing bhangra, and specifically mentioned teams like ubc and nba, and enjoyed the whole coed scene. this is all hearsay though, so lets wait for govind to give the full report!
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m189JyL8urI

^ copied a ton of KJ and this was just posted today
 

Somi

Hookah is NOT harmful!
Messages
553
thats pretty funny...
but Im not shocked that Indian teams are copying choreography and/or changing the scene
As far as Pakistan and internet...the cafe have pretty good internet...and that is PAKISTAN, India is way ahead of us. plus these student can easily have internet access from universities.

Jabar Jung said:
...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performance like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
^ Jabbar you just dont like Khalsa Junction ;)
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
The way some people out here view bhangra in India, a guy could take a fat one on stage and some people would still appreciate it... I dont consider india ahead by any means... I'm sure they watch the videos from out here, India has fast internet these days, which world are you guys living in? The best of the best in the U.S. can keep up with the best in India... While India may have more QUANTITY than the U.S., the U.S. has the same amount of quality...
 

Jabar Jung

New Member
Messages
926
Somia said:
thats pretty funny...
India is way ahead of us.

Jabar Jung said:
...I really hated it because it's India and then they do a performance like khalsa junction...really stupid...internet did bring a change.
^ Jabbar you just dont like Khalsa Junction ;)
What you mean us! and yes i don't like their way of bhangra, not the people obviosly we all are bhangra buddehs.
 

mafzal

Judge / Dancer
Messages
2,098
Vick said:
The way some people out here view bhangra in India, a guy could take a fat one on stage and some people would still appreciate it... I dont consider india ahead by any means... I'm sure they watch the videos from out here, India has fast internet these days, which world are you guys living in? The best of the best in the U.S. can keep up with the best in India... While India may have more QUANTITY than the U.S., the U.S. has the same amount of quality...
best of US? perhaps, but more like CANADA... loll
 

Vick

Member
Messages
990
Mariam said:
best of US? perhaps, but more like CANADA... loll
PPA, Gabroo Shokeen, TBT... enough said... we have a lot of talent here... Canada is good too... They can hold it down up there...
 
Top