• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

Dhol Help

djjag

Hey,

So I live in an apartment and can't really practice playing the dhol because it's too loud and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on ways to muffle the noise a bit or any other alternatives. I'd really appreciate the help thanks.

Jabar Jung

Go to a park during the after noon times when no ones around, but i go anytime people gather around lol..

Play in your car. Passenger seat.

JupMasterG

i dont know what to say about muffling the sound but you dont wanna untighten your skins too much to muffle the sound because too tight/loose can increase chances of ripping either side.

but if you have more than one dhol, you could use one for performances and for the other stuff it with a pillow lol. pillow will absorb the sound and it will barely make any noise at all...good in your case to practice since you live in an apt

TDG

@ Groundshaker 2
If you don't go with the pillow idea (I would recommend the same) you can also take a towel and put it over both ends. The towel will absorb majority of the sound trying to travel out.

-TheDholGuy

AWall23

you can even put one pillow against each side from the outside and play, that muffles the sound pretty well