New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem
Ashveer, u the fn MAN !!!!!Ashveer said:God of Small Things (Arundhati Roy)
i love the republic. i am gonna check out this zinn books sounds badass. do you like chomsky or guys like vidal? freakin amazing guys.justAguy said:Best book ever written -> The Republic of Plato (The Cornford edition sucks, Penguin has the best translation)
Second best book ever written -> Brave New World by Alduous Huxley, really amazing book
Actually I take back what I said
HANDS DOWN, BEST BOOK EVER PUBLISHED IN THE HISTORY OF TIME
A People's History of the US by Howard Zinn
Anybody living in America, having relatives in America, or just wondering why so many people die, READ THIS BOOK !
For those of you who don't want to buy it, go on www.historyisaweapon.com and it's on there, every chapter
It explains America, the American empire, why we get into wars, how people get screwed, etc.
Howard Zinn completely re-wrote history with this book
Howard Zinn grew up thinking America is the savior of the world, so lets just get on with our white man's burden n spread democracy n hope n fix everything, so he signed up for the army .... n then he was ordered to just burn people alive. Surrendered soldiers, who had no guns, just sitting there hanging out waiting to be taken home, he had to burn them. So then he felt bad, and realized we're assholes, and the government is a killing machine. At the same time, his parents were working their asses off and not getting anything in return. So then he studied all about how the general people n the working class gets screwed over and over and over again. It's really amazing, he talks about from the begining of American colonialism, how the Europeans wiped out beautiful civilizations all so the King n Queen could get some extra money to finance wars, it's really a beautiful book, gauranteed to make you cry at least once.
i think kinnel bhai mentioned one of dawkin's books (god delusion) but if his other books are great too like the selfish gene, check it out you might like it.Laddi said:The origin of species ( I DIE FOR EVOLUTION! )
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY...FML...BACK TO STUDYING -_-
It was my first Salman Rushdie book and because of it I started reading his books. You're the only other person I know who has read Map for Lost Lovers..we are def. going to have to exchange some more book titles!dheerja said:You're the only other person I know who's read Fury! I loved it.Mandi said:Fury by Salman Rushdie
Thanks for the reference...I will look into them as soon as Finals are over and i have my life back!COMTONDAJATT said:i think kinnel bhai mentioned one of dawkin's books (god delusion) but if his other books are great too like the selfish gene, check it out you might like it.Laddi said:The origin of species ( I DIE FOR EVOLUTION! )
ORGANIC CHEMISTRY...FML...BACK TO STUDYING -_-
...and im still waiting for Dippy to return it to me, since she borrowed it from me in Summer '08. lolMandi said:P.S. Dippy - I'm still waiting for you to give me Angels and Demons.
is that whats on ur bookshelf imran???????[Sher] Imran said:Bernstein Bears to mix it up
My dad, an IIT grad, recently recommended this book to me. I'm definitely gonna check this out now...campy614 said:Also, if he's in India, he will DEFINITELY be able to get his hands on Five Point Someone. I picked it up right before I hopped on the plane to America, and finished it by the time I landed at JFK.