• Bhangra discussion is still going strong. Join us in our Facebook group!

New user registration has been closed (as it was entirely spam). We encourage you to post in our Facebook group, even if it's a followup to an existing thread. BTF will continue to be archived and hosted here - Saleem

EXTREMELY OFF-TOPIC, but how do you guys meet people/date?

virkenator

Deg Teg Fateh
On a serious note, a friend of mine is also on a look out. He is an engineer at Yahoo!....he is not on BTF....let me know if I can be of some help. ;)

SAMMI

Sue_Sylvester - Thanks for the serious reply and for kind of understanding. :) What you said about not being picky but also not willing to compromise - that's a huge deal. Idk how other girls do it, but I can't see myself compromising on "basic" attributes others are able to attain easily simply because of my geographical location and poor family network. Like I said earlier, it's not even about being picky (and I think you understand this). It's more about throwing myself in a bigger pool so that I have some options. You know how things can end up with limited connections.

J Hayer - Indeed, that was cliche as heck, lol. That's okay, though. I understand what you were trying to tell me. =)

hardeep_singh - I'm not looking for something casual. Although, this is not to say I want to jump on the alter with the first guy I get to know well. Relationships without the potential for long-term growth are purposeless to me. In addition, I also honestly don't have time for dead-end endeavors. As for asking family members to hook me up - haha, they have been doing it voluntarily. Let's just say the individuals proposed didn't meet my standards, which aren't THAT high. I can go into detail about those if you want. :D

dii182 and Tochinder5000 - Those are good suggestions. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really my circumstances keeping me from meeting new people or just me being scared of investing and failing a thousand times before winning. Sorry guys, this is turning into SAMMI's diary.

virknator - Lol thanks. I'll think about it.

jasraj93 - Nah, kiddo. When it's your time to think about marriage, you'll check out those sites and see that 98% of the profiles with pictures won't interest you and the rest don't have pictures. How the heck I don't even?!?!

Lol @ the image and gif.

voxanimus

<('.'<) (>'.')>
SAMMI said:
Sue_Sylvester - Thanks for the serious reply and for kind of understanding. :) What you said about not being picky but also not willing to compromise - that's a huge deal. Idk how other girls do it, but I can't see myself compromising on "basic" attributes others are able to attain easily simply because of my geographical location and poor family network. Like I said earlier, it's not even about being picky (and I think you understand this). It's more about throwing myself in a bigger pool so that I have some options. You know how things can end up with limited connections.

J Hayer - Indeed, that was cliche as heck, lol. That's okay, though. I understand what you were trying to tell me. =)

hardeep_singh - I'm not looking for something casual. Although, this is not to say I want to jump on the alter with the first guy I get to know well. Relationships without the potential for long-term growth are purposeless to me. In addition, I also honestly don't have time for dead-end endeavors. As for asking family members to hook me up - haha, they have been doing it voluntarily. Let's just say the individuals proposed didn't meet my standards, which aren't THAT high. I can go into detail about those if you want. :D

dii182 and Tochinder5000 - Those are good suggestions. I'm beginning to wonder if it's really my circumstances keeping me from meeting new people or just me being scared of investing and failing a thousand times before winning. Sorry guys, this is turning into SAMMI's diary.

virknator - Lol thanks. I'll think about it.

jasraj93 - Nah, kiddo. When it's your time to think about marriage, you'll check out those sites and see that 98% of the profiles with pictures won't interest you and the rest don't have pictures. How the heck I don't even?!?!

Lol @ the image and gif.
comprehensive replies ftw

sonehdataweet

Props to you for being brave enough to post something like this. It takes a lot of courage to post on a public forum like this. You seem like a smart girl, whose won't let a fella dow. Stay strong, you'll find someone.

*Where is the shaadi.com section of btf when you need it the most (where you used to be able to upload pictures). All of y'all could've seen how Sammi looks like. If you haven't already ;)

itsG

SAMMI said:
Let's just say the individuals proposed didn't meet my standards, which aren't THAT high. I can go into detail about those if you want. :D
haha thats a very long drawn out way to say "FOB" haha
you a creative girl

SAMMI

itsG said:
SAMMI said:
Let's just say the individuals proposed didn't meet my standards, which aren't THAT high. I can go into detail about those if you want. :D
you a creative girl
Lmao - caught!

hardeep_singh

SAMMI said:
honestly it just sucks bein punjabi and having an old school family because up until college you have to live with so many restrictions which limit your interactions with the opposite sex, then you hit college and get some freedom, the last thing on your mind is trying to find something long term. so you pretty much just go and enjoy yourself a little bit, then you graduate, get a job, and start making money and next thing you know your parents are hounding u bout gettin married n shit. if you're lucky and met some one in high school or college that was a good match, you're all set, but if u didn't then you're just kinda lost about what to do. u wanna just enjoy your freedom some more but u know you're screwed cuz you're gonna have to settle down otherwise your parents are gonna drag u to your pheray themselves. so you have a limited amount of time to find someone that you will like that your parents will approve of and his/her parents have to approve of u, then you get into all the cultural stuff, like religion, gott, family background. it's pretty intimidating, there are a lot of people in the same position as u. i haven't really explored any options for finding anything serious but i've gotten invites for desi networking events; i guess that's a relatively decent way of making friends or maybe meeting someone. usually when my parents or someone else brings up prospective girls i make some sort of smartass comment that throws em off.
them: kidda di kuri labiye teray layi?
me: koi soni jai jatta di kuri lab ke liyo meray layi.
me: (lulz achieved)

itsG

SAMMI said:
itsG said:
SAMMI said:
you a creative girl
Lmao - caught!

you aint sneak enough yet 8)

hardeep_singh said:
SAMMI said:
honestly it just sucks bein punjabi and having an old school family because up until college you have to live with so many restrictions which limit your interactions with the opposite sex, then you hit college and get some freedom, the last thing on your mind is trying to find something long term. so you pretty much just go and enjoy yourself a little bit, then you graduate, get a job, and start making money and next thing you know your parents are hounding u bout gettin married n shit. if you're lucky and met some one in high school or college that was a good match, you're all set, but if u didn't then you're just kinda lost about what to do. u wanna just enjoy your freedom some more but u know you're screwed cuz you're gonna have to settle down otherwise your parents are gonna drag u to your pheray themselves. so you have a limited amount of time to find someone that you will like that your parents will approve of and his/her parents have to approve of u, then you get into all the cultural stuff, like religion, gott, family background. it's pretty intimidating, there are a lot of people in the same position as u. i haven't really explored any options for finding anything serious but i've gotten invites for desi networking events; i guess that's a relatively decent way of making friends or maybe meeting someone. usually when my parents or someone else brings up prospective girls i make some sort of smartass comment that throws em off.
them: kidda di kuri labiye teray layi?
me: koi soni jai jatta di kuri lab ke liyo meray layi.
me: (lulz achieved)

damn i guess i should join the club haha :D
im still early in the game but best reply ever tht keeps em quiet for a few weeks "mainu ki pata thodi nuh honi aa tusi lablo"

SAMMI

soniadewett - Lol at courage. Serious dilemma is serious. It needs tackling.

hardeep_singh - That right there is the story of my life. Like A to Jed. :/ Lololl

and Lol @ itsG. I need a good comeback like that. :eek:

SAMMI

Multani said:
Ohh Sammi, Tennu payi ni kisse ne aje lammi ;)

Although my Punjabi is pretttty good, I can't say I know what you're asking me...??

Edit* - I just got it. I had a feeling it was something ghey.

hardeep_singh

itsG said:
im still early in the game but best reply ever tht keeps em quiet for a few weeks "mainu ki pata thodi nuh honi aa tusi lablo"
lol pangay lenda, watch em get u some soft spoken fobby chick that loves to do house work. i cant use that with my parents they know im gonna buy my own house once i get close to settlin down, it just suicide to be married n live with ur parents. its just so awkward whenever any relative brings up the girl stuff, it's like your discussing buying a car or something and they try to be like extra friendly about it which makes it even more awkward. what you gotta be careful of is relatives trying to hook u up for their own gain, someone they know isnt really on the same level as u, but they push for it anyways just because they'll get something out of setting the deal up. shad paray i'm just gonna tell my parents i wanna be a sharra.

me:
I dont want to marry

SAMMI

hardeep_singh said:
itsG said:
lol pangay lenda, watch em get u some soft spoken fobby chick that loves to do house work. i cant use that with my parents they know im gonna buy my own house once i get close to settlin down, it just suicide to be married n live with ur parents. its just so awkward whenever any relative brings up the girl stuff, it's like your discussing buying a car or something and they try to be like extra friendly about it which makes it even more awkward. what you gotta be careful of is relatives trying to hook u up for their own gain, someone they know isnt really on the same level as u, but they push for it anyways just because they'll get something out of setting the deal up. shad paray i'm just gonna tell my parents i wanna be a sharra.

Lol! They'll die of grief.

And your posts crack me up (even though they're true).

hardeep_singh

SAMMI said:

list of things that would cause punjabi/sikh parents grief:

1) being gay/lesbian
2) marrying muslim guy/girl
3) marrying white/black/non-punjabi girl/guy
4) marrying outside religion
5) marrying outside caste
6) getting divorced
7) not getting married
8 ) gettin married to a bitchy guy/girl
9) getting married and not having kids

bonus points for pullin off a combo

sonehdataweet

hardeep_singh said:
SAMMI said:

list of things that would cause punjabi/sikh parents grief:

1) being gay/lesbian
2) marrying muslim guy/girl
3) marrying white/black/non-punjabi girl/guy
4) marrying outside religion
5) marrying outside caste
6) getting divorced
7) not getting married
8 ) gettin married to a bitchy guy/girl
9) getting married and not having kids

bonus points for pullin off a combo
So essentially anything you do causes your parents grief. AMEN!